The “Week In Review” is back, updating you on how Virginia Tech’s class of 2014 recruits are performing on the gridiron this season. The following future Hokies saw their seasons come to end before this past weekend…
– Andrew Ford , QB, Cedar Cliff (Camp Hill, PA)
– Eric Gallo , OL, Council Rock South (Holland, PA)
– Colt Pettit , OL, Patrick Henry (Deshler, OH)
– Cam Phillips , WR, DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, VA)
– CJ Reavis , S, Thomas Dale (Chester, VA)
– Michael Santamaria , PK, Athens Academy (Athens, GA)
– Ricky Walker , DT, Bethel (Hampton, VA)
The rest of Virginia Tech’s recruits were in playoff action this past week. Let’s get to the results…
– Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA), which features Virginia Tech-bound wide receiver Jaylen Bradshaw , outscored Grassfield 28-0 in the second half to roll to a 41-7 victory over the Grizzlies in 6A South Region (Conferences 1 & 2) second round action. The Tigers will host Forest Park in the 6A South Region semifinals on Friday night.
– Brunswick (Lawrenceville, VA), which features Tech TE/DL recruit Xavier Burke , defeated Nottoway, 21-8, in the second round of the 2A East Region playoffs. The Bulldogs travel to undefeated Clarke County in the regional semifinals on Saturday.
– Terrell Edmunds had 77 yards rushing and a touchdown, but Dan River (Ringgold, VA) fell short in its run for a state title with a 15-6 loss to Buckingham. Edmunds had a terrific season, eventually becoming the Wildcats primary ball-handler and enjoying some big-time performances. He will start out at cornerback at Virginia Tech.
– Osceola managed to slow down Tech-bound athlete Javon Harrison and the Kathleen (Lakeland, FL) offense, defeating the Red Devils by a score of 28-14 in the Class 7A regional semifinals. Harrison, who consistently came through with big plays (on offense, defense, and special teams) and touchdowns throughout the season, had five catches for only 28 yards in the loss.
– South Fort Myers dominated Winter Haven (FL), 28-0, in a 6A regional semifinal. Virginia Tech-bound wideout Kendrick Holland had two catches for 30 yards in his final game on the high school level.
– QB/ATH Travon McMillian accounted for both of Hylton’s (Woodbridge, VA) touchdowns in a 27-13 loss to Colonial Forge in the second round of the 6A South Region (Conferences 3 & 4) playoffs. The Bulldogs conclude the 2013 season with a 10-2 overall record.
– Massaponax (Fredericksburg, VA), which now features two Tech recruits in defensive end Vinny Mihota and defensive tackle Steve Sobczak , earned a 55-21 victory over Falls Church in 5A North Region second round playoff action. The unbeaten Panthers will now host North Stafford in a regional semifinal scheduled for Saturday. The two teams squared off in the regular season with Massaponax taking a 23-17 overtime win.
According to Sobczak, Mihota, who has been sidelined with a foot injury since September 6, likely won’t return to the field this season.
– L.C. Bird (Chesterfield, VA) was tested but eventually pulled away from Hermitage, 28-14, in the 5A South Region (Conferences 11 & 12) second round. Shawn Payne ‘s 34-yard touchdown reception put the Skyhawks up for good after Hermitage had taken a 14-12 third quarter lead. Bird hosts Atlee in a regional semifinal on Friday night.
– Stonewall Jackson (Manassas, VA) overcame a 28-13 second quarter deficit to edge out Langley, 51-48, in the second round of the 6A North Region playoffs. Raiders signal caller Greg Stroman passed for 109 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 118 yards and three scores, including a 53-yard touchdown scamper that proved to be the game winner.
Stonewall Jackson meets Centreville in a regional semifinal on Saturday.
– In a big surprise, Phoebus (Hampton, VA) lost to King’s Fork, 17-14, in the second round of the 4A South Region playoffs. The Phantoms had been rolling along since an early season defeat to DeMatha Catholic and seemed destined to reach the Division 4 state championship game, but a 42-yard King’s Fork field goal as time expired ended the season of tailback Marshawn Williams and company. Williams, who plans to enroll at Tech in January of 2014, rushed for 214 yards and a touchdown in his final high school game. He eclipsed 2,000 yards rushing on the season.
Following the game, Williams tweeted: “Broke 2,000 yrds tonight but Sad the season ended ,love my phoebus bros, Now it’s time to focus on getting to VT in January #hokieAllin”
VT’s OL RECRUITS
– Billy Ray Mitchell , Paramus Catholic (Paramus, N.J.)
Paramus Catholic captured a thrilling 21-20 victory over Don Bosco Prep last week, advancing to the Non-Public Group 4 final, where it will take on St. Peter’s Prep.
– Tyrell Smith , Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.)
As mentioned above, Don Bosco saw its season come to an end at the hands of Paramus Catholic, a team it had defeated earlier in the season.
– Brady Taylor , Bishop Ready (Columbus, OH)
Bishop Ready dispatched of Newark Catholic, 48-21, in a Division IV regional championship. The Silver Knights (12-1) will take on unbeaten Kirtland in state semifinal action this week.
PREVIOUS “WEEK IN REVIEW” REPORTS