The “Week In Review” is back, updating you on how Virginia Tech’s class of 2014 recruits are performing on the gridiron this season. The following future Hokies saw their seasons come to end before this past weekend…
– Andrew Ford , QB, Cedar Cliff (Camp Hill, PA)
– Eric Gallo , OL, Council Rock South (Holland, PA)
– Colt Pettit , OL, Patrick Henry (Deshler, OH)
– Michael Santamaria , PK, Athens Academy (Athens, GA)
– Ricky Walker , DT, Bethel (Hampton, VA)
The rest of Virginia Tech’s recruits were in playoff action this past week. Let’s get to the results…
– Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA) downed Bayside, 35-0, in the first round of the 6A South Region Conferences 1 & 2 playoffs. Virginia Tech-bound wide receiver Jaylen Bradshaw had a 12-yard touchdown reception in the win.
The Tigers’ (11-0) march toward another state championship continues with a second round matchup against Grassfield on Friday night. The two teams met in the regular season with Oscar Smith cruising to a 42-0 win.
– TE/DL Xavier Burke and the Brunswick Bulldogs (Lawrenceville, VA) defeated Amelia County, 35-20, in the first round of the 2A East Region playoffs. Brunswick (9-2), the no. 3 seed and winner of nine straight games, now hosts Nottoway in the second round. Nottoway is the no. 11 seed and scored an upset win over King William last week.
– Dan River (Ringgold, VA) defeated Glenvar, 32-15, in 2A West Region first round playoff action. Terrell Edmunds was fantastic in the win, carrying the ball 11 times for 206 yards and three long touchdown runs, including a 59-yarder that opened the game’s scoring.
The Wildcats host Buckingham in the second round on Friday night.
– Javon Harrison scored four touchdowns – one rushing, one receiving, and two more on second half punt returns – as Kathleen (Lakeland, FL) outlasted Lake Nona, 55-42, in the Class 7A, Region 4 quarterfinals. Kathleen advances to the regional semifinals against Osceola of Kissimmee.
– In another high scoring affair, Winter Haven (FL), which features Tech-bound receiver Kendrick Holland , edged Ida Baker by a score of 38-35 in a 6A regional quarterfinal. Holland had a 19-yard touchdown reception in the win, which puts the Blue Devils in the regional semifinals against South Fort Myers.
– Hylton (Woodbridge, VA), led by quarterback/athlete Travon McMillian , escaped the 6A South Region Conferences 3 & 4 first round matchup against Cosby with a 19-16 win. The Bulldogs (10-1), who host Colonial Forge on Friday night, led by 19 heading into the fourth quarter but had three turnovers to give the Titans some hope. McMillian threw for 109 yards and rushed for 88 more, including a 59-yard touchdown run, in the win.
– Massaponax (Fredericksburg, VA), which features defensive end Vinny Mihota , rolled to a 60-22 win over Thomas Edison last week to advance to the 5A North Region quarterfinals, where it will face Falls Church.
– L.C. Bird (Chesterfield, VA) soundly defeated Mills Godwin, 49-0, in the first round of the 5A South Region Conferences 11 & 12 playoffs last week. The Skyhawks host another traditional power, Hermitage, this Friday in the second round.
Bird features Tech-bound cornerback/wide receiver Shawn Payne .
– Good Counsel has been the dominant force in WCAC play the past several years, but DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, MD) is back on top after defeating St. John’s, 31-10, in the conference’s postseason championship game. The Stags (11-1) also captured the regular season title in 2013.
In the title game, future Hokie receiver Cam Phillips had four catches for 62 yards and one touchdown. He had 14 touchdowns on the season, including four in the two WCAC postseason contests.
– CJ Reavis hauled in a 32-yard touchdown reception but it wasn’t enough as Thomas Dale (Chester, VA) fell to Colonial Forge, 47-26, in the first round of the 6A South Conferences 3 & 4 playoffs. Reavis, a starter at WR and S for the Knights, will play defense at Virginia Tech.
– Greg Stroman would not be denied last Friday night, totaling 451 yards of offense (262 rushing, 189 passing) and five touchdowns (4 rush, 1 pass) as Stonewall Jackson (Manassas, VA) erased a 10-point halftime deficit to defeat Washington-Lee, 42-34, in the first round of the 6A North Region playoffs. Langley awaits in the second round tomorrow night.
– Phoebus (Hampton, VA) destroyed Caroline, 56-7, in a 4A South Region first round contest. RB Marshawn Williams rushed for 197 yards and five scores in the win, and Tech fans can see highlights of his play by clicking here.
Phoebus plays host to a solid King’s Fork squad this week.
VT’s OL RECRUITS
– Billy Ray Mitchell , Paramus Catholic (Paramus, N.J.)
Paramus Catholic easily defeated Notre Dame, 55-14, in the first round of the Non-Public Group 4 playoffs. This week the Paladins will get a rematch with Don Bosco Prep, which won the regular season matchup between the two teams.
– Tyrell Smith , Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.)
Don Bosco captured a 55-7 win over Seton Hall Prep to advance to the Non-Public Group 4 semifinals against Paramus. The Ironmen are winners of five straight heading into this week’s contest.
– Brady Taylor , Bishop Ready (Columbus, OH)
Bishop Ready defeated Monroe Central, 45-14, to advance in the OHSAA, Division IV playoffs. Newark Catholic, a team Bishop Ready defeated by 12 points (26-14) back in August, awaits in the quarterfinals.
PREVIOUS “WEEK IN REVIEW” REPORTS