Virginia Tech released more information on yesterday’s news about the coming updates to English Field at Union Park, including details on how much that portion of the project will cost, plus a construction outline.
The overall project for English Field at Union Park and Rector Field House will cost $36 million, as outlined yesterday. The English Field portion of the project will cost approximately half that: $18 million.
Of that $18 million, $3.5 million was raised via a major gift from Union Bank & Trust, announced last March. That gift led to naming rights for the stadium being granted to Union Bank & Trust, and the former “English Field” was renamed “English Field at Union Park.”
“The design for Union Park retains the unique fan-friendly terrace seating while building a state-of-the-art stadium that will be a draw for the community,” Billy Beale, CEO of Union Bank & Trust said in a Virginia Tech Baseball press release. “The new facility will provide a fantastic first impression of Virginia Tech through the new interchange and I’m excited that Union will be associated with it.”
Virginia Tech released three concept drawings yesterday, and added more in today’s press release. Click the thumbnails for larger versions.
This fall, the existing permanent stands and press box will be razed, and site preparation will begin. Construction on the new stands and press box won’t begin until after the 2017 baseball season, and the project will be completed by the start of the 2018 baseball season.
Total capacity of the new seating area is expected to be 1,500, and there will be additional seating in the grassy terraced section down the left field line, which will be left largely intact and unchanged.
With the updates to Virginia Tech’s Southgate drive entrance off Route 460 West, the updated park will serve as a landmark entrance to Virginia Tech’s athletic facilities.
“We are excited to be able to begin on this tremendous project,” Virginia Tech Director of Athletics Whit Babcock said. “Through our partnership with our good friends at Union Bank & Trust, we will be able to build a baseball facility that will allow us to compete at the highest level. It will also allow us to present a fan experience that will enrich not only our baseball team, but our entire athletics program. When completed, this park will serve as a great entrance to our campus and our overall facilities.”
More Details on the English Field at Union Park Project
From the Virginia Tech Baseball press release:
- A new club will be constructed behind the first base (visitors’) dugout, similar to the clubs in Lane Stadium.
- The left-field terrace seating will remain.
- The new press box tower will have enhanced concessions, marketing, and restroom facilities, and will feature an arched entry similar to the arch of Torgersen Bridge on the Alumni Mall.
- The press box tower will also feature four suites, available for purchase, similar to the suites found in Lane Stadium.
- A social area down the right field line will be created.
- A new video board will be installed to replace the current scoreboard.
- A clubhouse will be constructed in the ground floor of the Jim Weaver Baseball Hitting Facility, past the left field foul pole. The clubhouse will include a spacious locker room and player lounge, along with a team room, equipment room, and a video room for players and coaches to do individual skills coaching.