Most of Virginia Tech’s class of 2016 recruits in action last week were victorious. A number of them had huge performances, beginning with Hampton Crabbers star JoVonn Quillen Jr.…
– Hampton (VA) is 2-0 after defeating Heritage, 42-20, last week. The Crabbers are led by their quarterback, JoVonn Quillen Jr., who accounted for four touchdowns (two passing, two rush) and two 2-point conversions in the victory. Quillen is listed as an “athlete” recruit for the Hokies. He has ability at quarterback, wide receiver and defensive back.
– Quarterback Joshua Jackson had a big day as a passer and a runner, completing 13-of-22 passes for 198 yards and a touchdown and rushing for 102 yards on 17 carries, as Saline (MI) remained undefeated with a 45-6 win over Skyline.
– Greer (S.C.) star senior Troy Pride Jr. hauled in three catches for 150 yards and two touchdowns as his team captured the “Jacket Bowl” last week. Pride’s second score was the game winning one for Greer.
– Eric Kumah‘s 6-reception, 146-yard, 1-touchdown performance helped Woodbridge (VA) Forest Park down a solid Brooke Point squad, 34-21. The Bruins (2-1) take on Stonewall Jackson, which features Kumah’s future teammates Reggie Floyd and Devante Smith, this Friday.
– The aforementioned Reggie Floyd had 21 carries for 159 yards and two touchdown runs (19, 4) but Manassas (VA) Stonewall Jackson fell to North Stafford, 35-21. Stonewall Jackson fell to 1-2 on the year. Floyd has enjoyed success as a running back on the high school level; however, Virginia Tech likes him initially as a safety.
– Offensive line commit Patrick Kearns helped pave the way for Rome (GA) Darlington’s 375 yards rushing in a 27-7 win over King’s Ridge Christian. The Tigers are now 3-0 this season.
Here is how the rest of VT’s recruit fared on the gridiron last week…
WON: Tavante Beckett, LB, Chesapeake (VA) Indian River (2-0); Divine Deablo, WR, Winston-Salem (N.C.) Mount Tabor (2-2); Clay Dean, DT, Purcellville (VA) Woodgrove (2-1); Victor Greene, LB, Spotsylvania (VA) Courtland; Phillip Patterson, ATH, Virginia Beach (VA) Bayside (3-0); Jimmie Taylor IV, DE, Jacksonville (N.C.) Southwest Onslow (2-2); Myles Wolfolk, DB, Upper Marlboro (MD) Wise (2-0)