The “Week In Review” is back with the latest on how Virginia Tech-bound recruits are performing on the gridiron in the 2014 season. We begin with last week’s headlines led by linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, who shined on both sides of the ball in Dan River’s regular season finale win over Gretna.
2014 WEEK IN REVIEW: 9TH EDITION
– 6’4″, 225-pound linebacker Tremaine Edmunds racked up 13 tackles (five solo) with three tackles for loss and one sack in Dan River’s (Ringgold, VA) 28-19 win over Gretna last week. Edmunds added two pass breakups and an interception in what was a big-time defensive effort. He also rushed for 96 yards, hauled in a 25-yard reception, and had one touchdown.
Dan River (7-3) finished the regular season with three straight wins.
– Running back Coleman Fox had 15 carries for 114 yards, four receptions for 50 yards, and four touchdowns (3 rush, 1 receiving) as Salem (VA) dispatched Hidden Valley, 51-24. The Spartans (9-0) travel to Pulaski County for their regular season finale this evening.
– Good Counsel (Olney, MD), which features Tech-bound senior defensive end Darius Fullwood, defeated Bishop O’Connell to cap an undefeated regular season in the WCAC. The Falcons went 9-1 overall this regular season. Also within the past week, Fullwood was selected to play in the 2015 Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl, which takes place on January 4, 2015.
– Tech class of 2015 defensive end commitment Trevon Hill has been dismissed from Salem High School in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Still no reason given publicly, and we’ll have to see how it impacts his standing with Virginia Tech moving forward.
– Running back Deshawn McClease totaled 147 yards of offense (109 yards rushing, 38 yards receiving) and a touchdown as Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA) defeated Great Bridge, 37-21. McClease has rushed for 1,295 yards his senior year, and the Tigers (9-1) have won nine straight since dropping their season opener.
– Class of 2016 quarterback commit Logan Byrd accounted for all three of his team’s scores (2 TDs rushing, 1 passing) in a 21-20 win over Howard. Veterans (GA) improved to 2-8 on the season.
The following Hokie recruits were victorious on the gridiron last week…
– S Adonis Alexander, Independence (Charlotte, N.C.), 10-0 on the season
– DB Jahque Alleyne, Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach, VA), 9-0
– OL Mike Arnold, Winter Haven (FL), 8-1
– TE/WR Chris Cunningham, Atlantic Coast (Jacksonville, FL), 6-3
– CB DuWayne Johnson, H.D. Woodson (Washington, D.C.), 8-2
– OL Fredrick Johnson, Royal Palm Beach (FL), 8-1
– LB Carson Lydon, East Lake (Tarpon Springs, FL), 9-0
– CB Mook Reynolds, Northern Guilford (Greensboro, N.C.), 9-1
The following Hokie recruits lost last week…
– OL Austin Clark, Rockbridge County (Lexington, VA), 0-9
– LB/DE Damien Dozier, Knightdale (Raleigh, N.C.), 3-7
– DT Harry Lewis, Phoebus (Hampton, VA), 6-3
– OL/DL DAndre Plantin, Norcorss (GA), 6-3
– DT Eric Whitehead, Arsenal Tech (Indianapolis, IN), 4-4 (Season over)
– Class of 2016 WR Conner ODonnell, Concord First Assembly (Concord, N.C.), 1-9 (Season over). O’Donnell finished the season with 68 receptions for 1,358 yards and six touchdowns in eight games.