Checking in with VT CB Commit Kyle Fuller

Share on your favorite social network:
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail to someoneGoogle+share on TumblrShare on Reddit

Kyle Fuller had never played quarterback until this season. A versatile athlete that projects initially as a cornerback at Virginia Tech, Fuller was called upon to be Mount St. Joseph’s (Baltimore, MD) starting signal caller in 2009. The 6-0, 165-pound senior responded well, guiding his team to two wins to start the season.

“I felt comfortable. The game was moving slowly for me, so I felt good,” Fuller said of his experience playing quarterback. “In our first game I had two rushing touchdowns and I made an interception. Our second game, we won a close game. I had to make a lot of plays on my own because the other team had a good plan for us. They wouldn’t let me get outside. We wound up winning 9-6. Our only touchdown came at the end of the first half. I threw a Hail Mary in the endzone. They picked it off, tried to run it back, fumbled, and we returned it for a touchdown.”

Mount St. Joseph’s third game proved costly. Not only did the team suffer its first loss of the season, a 42-0 setback to Good Counsel, but Fuller suffered what may be a season-ending injury. While making a tackle, one of Fuller’s fingers got caught up in the jersey of a Good Counsel player. He later discovered that he had suffered a torn tendon in the finger.

“I couldn’t bend the tip of my finger, but I felt like it would come back around eventually,” Fuller said. “I couldn’t play offense. I couldn’t feel my finger, so I couldn’t pass. I jammed it again later on in the game and I think that’s when I made the tendon pop. I had surgery on the 12th and they hooked everything back up.”

Fuller is working towards making it back for his senior season. At the same time, the Mount St. Joseph’s coaches don’t want to rush anything.

“They might hold me out for the rest of the season,” Fuller said. “They want me to make sure I’m all healed up. I’m going to rehab three days a week. The stitches come out [today]. We just have to see how it goes.”

Fuller committed to Virginia Tech in July, shortly after attending Tech’s second summer camp. He has had no doubts about the decision he made over two months ago.

“I’m still feeling good about it,” said Fuller, who’ll be at Virginia