Top Target: Pat Sheil

Share on your favorite social network:
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail to someoneGoogle+share on TumblrShare on Reddit

The recent Nike camp in Charlottesville, Virginia, was an excellent experience for Centreville (Clifton, VA) standout Pat Sheil . The 6-7, 260 pound offensive tackle prospect boasted seven scholarship offers heading into the event – Army, Maryland, Nebraska, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest. He felt it was a good opportunity to prove his abilities against other top performers and to, perhaps, raise his stock even higher than it was before.

“It was a lot of fun,” Sheil said of the Nike camp. “It was fun to compete against the best players out there. For some guys in the almost-offer range, it was a chance to have their 15 minutes of fame and hopefully raise their stock a little bit. For me, I was already a good in-state player but it helped raise me in terms of out-of-state attention.”

From speaking with Centreville Head Coach Mike Skinner, Sheil had an idea coming into the process that he may receive scholarship offers to play Division I-A football. What surprised him the most were the almost-immediate offers he received following the Nike Camp. Specifically, Miami and Florida offered him officially late last week.

“My Coach has produced a great amount of good players over the years,” Sheil said. “From day one he said I could be one of the best. It was still shocking to see the reaction of schools towards me after the Nike event. Florida and Miami offered me because of the Nike event. I would have been fine without the camp, but it definitely elevated me I think. I had gotten letters before from Florida and a few from Miami but both offering was exciting and sudden. I’m still kind of in shock.”

More offers are likely on the horizon. In addition to the nine scholarships he currently has available, schools such as Southern California and Ohio State are showing serious interest.

As more and more schools become involved, it may be tougher for Sheil to make his final decision. Said to be nearing a decision within the next few weeks, the timetable has now been extended to June, which is when he would ideally like to have a final decision made.

“Hopefully I’ll be done by the end of June,” Sheil said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes past June, but I really hope to have it completed by then. It would be convenient for everyone if I did.”

In terms of favorites, it appears he may slightly favor the two in-state programs, however the out-of-state attention is drawing his high interest. He recently enjoyed both UVa and Virginia Tech’s Spring