Two of Virginia Tech’s class of 2016 commitments — linebacker Tavante Beckett and athlete JoVonn Quillen Jr. — will face off against each other this evening in Virginia state playoff action. Four other Tech-bound recruits will take the field as well this weekend, still in the hunt for state championship glory.
Here is the rundown of how these prospects performed last week and who they will face this weekend…
– JoVonn Quillen Jr. had a touchdown pass and a touchdown run as Hampton (VA) remained unbeaten and advanced in the 5A South playoffs with a 29-14 win over Norview. Quillen, who rushed for 121 yards, now leads the Crabbers in the 5A regional semifinals against Chesapeake (VA) Indian River.
The Indian River defense should be a tough test for Quillen and company. Beckett, Alabama-bound linebacker Jaquan Yulee, and top junior safety Devon Hunter lead a tough defensive unit that has allowed double-digit scoring in just four games all season long. The Braves downed Kecoughtan, 18-7, last week to advance in the 5A South playoffs.
– Upper Marlboro (MD) Wise defeated Eleanor Roosevelt, 33-14, to advance to the 4A state semifinals. Wise features Virginia Tech cornerback commit Myles Wolfolk, who had four receptions for 43 yards in last week’s win. The Pumas are undefeated heading into this week’s contest.
Wolfolk, who I believe will stick with his commitment to the Hokies provided Torrian Gray is retained, took an official visit to Wisconsin last weekend. He has also taken an official to North Carolina since Frank Beamer announced his retirement. He has been consistent in saying he will take an official to VT once the new coach is in place.
– Victor Greene, a future linebacker at Virginia Tech, rushed 18 times for 189 yards and two touchdowns in Spotsylvania (VA) Courtland’s 48-20 win over Eastern View. Lafayette, which features Pitt-bound linebacker Cheyton Pine, awaits in the 4A East semifinals.
– Defensive lineman Clay Dean and Purcellville (VA) Woodgrove advanced in the 4A West playoffs and will face Jefferson Forest this week. Woodgrove has only one loss on the season.
– Suwanee (GA) Collins Hill (7-5), which features Virginia Tech linebacker recruit Emmanuel Belmar, will take on an undefeated Roswell squad in the Class AAAAAA quarterfinals Friday night. Collins Hill defeated Newton last week by a score of 31-24.