Hokies Reach the Century Mark in Blowout of Georgia Tech

Share on your favorite social network:
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail to someoneGoogle+share on TumblrShare on Reddit

Virginia Tech played their best offensive game of the year and ran Georgia Tech out of Cassell Coliseum in a 102-77 win on Sunday afternoon. All five starters scored in double figures for the Hokies, who improved to 16-7 overall and 6-4 in the ACC. Georgia Tech dropped to 10-14, with a 3-8 mark in league play.

After scoring just eight points and committing eight turnovers in the first meeting with Georgia Tech, Malcolm Delaney brought his A-game on Sunday. Delaney led the Hokies with 33 points and went 9-of-14 from the field, including 3-of-4 from three-point range. He was 12-of-14 from the charity stripe, and also had five assists and three steals.

Jeff Allen had another dominating performance, registering his fifth consecutive double-double. Allen had 25 points and 14 rebounds while shooting 10-of-15 from the field. Last Saturday at Boston College, Allen had 25 points and 19 rebounds, so the senior forward has been dominant as of late.

Erick Green chipped in with 15 points and six assists while making all three of his three-pointers. He rebounded nicely following his 0-of-8 performance at Boston College. Terrell Bell finished with 13 points, while Victor Davila added 11 points and seven rebounds.

The Hokies throttled the Yellow Jackets on the glass, out-rebounding them 42-21. VT pulled down 15 offensive rebounds and scored 40 points in the paint. Jeff Allen had seven offensive rebounds, which was as many as Georgia Tech had as a team. The Hokies also shot 55.2% from the field, including a 68% performance in the first half.

Virginia Tech never trailed in this game, getting off to a hot start and taking a 9-0 lead on a three-pointer by Malcolm Delaney to put them up 9-0. Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt called a quick timeout, but it didn’t help, as the Hokies extended their lead to 23-8 by the 12 minute mark.

Little did he know it, but Paul Hewitt’s stay on the bench was to be short lived. With the Hokies up 37-17, Georgia Tech turned the ball over and Hewitt was angry with the officials, and he was whistled for a technical foul. He never stopped his argument and was called for another technical, which meant an automatic ejection. With 7:53 remaining in the first half, the Yellow Jackets were without their head coach.

Georgia Tech did start scoring down the stretch of the first half, and trailed at halftime 53-37. The 53 points marked Virginia Tech’s best offensive half of the season, and they never let off the accelerator in the second half.

The Hokies were up 65-43 by the first television timeout of the second half, and eventually led by as many as 30 points when two Victor Davila free throws made the score 78-48 with 9:45 remaining, and Virginia Tech coasted to the easy win.

Tech returns to action on Tuesday night when they host Maryland in a big ACC contest for positioning in the conference standings. Tip-off is scheduled for 8pm, and the game will be televised by the ACC Network.

Share on your favorite social network:
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail to someoneGoogle+share on TumblrShare on Reddit