Tech Talk Live (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can see the show in person Bull & Bones Brewhaus & Grill in Blacksburg.
TSL Welcomes Bull and Bones as Sponsor of our Tech Talk Live Notes
new Tech Talk Live show is broadcast from Bull & Bones Brewhaus and Grill in
the First & Main shopping center in Blacksburg, and TechSideline.com is
pleased to welcome Bull & Bones as sponsor of our Tech Talk Live Notes. Bull
& Bones Brewhaus & Grill is a brewpub with both an upscale dining room
and a separate sports bar with a casual dining area
- Call Ahead Seating: 540-953-BULL(2855)
- Hours: Sun.-Sat. 11am-2am, Sun. Brunch 11am-3pm
As a special treat for TechSideline.com readers, each
week we’re giving away one $50 gift certificate to Bull & Bones
to the reader who wins bourbonstreet’s weekly football game score prediction
contest. Just watch the TechSideline.com football board for bourbonstreet’s
weekly prediction thread, and you could have a shot at dinner on us!
- Weaver understands that Tech fans are hurting, but they aren’t hurting
anymore than the Tech players.
- ECU has a team loaded with seniors. Skip Holtz has done a great job at
- Playing ECU is a good regional rivalry for Virginia Tech.
- The Boise State game will not be on Labor Day next season. It will remain
on October 2. Boise State didn’t want to play on a Monday night, because
they’d have to travel and then play a game the upcoming Saturday. They
wouldn’t get enough preparation time for their next game.
- Virginia Tech will probably play a 1-AA team next year. They will replace
Western Michigan, who wanted out of their game with VT so they could play at
- It is very difficult to win a National Championship. Joe Paterno has been
coaching for 44 years, and he’s won two. He won them in 1982 and 1986.
- The next construction project will be an indoor football practice
facility, which will be east of the new basketball practice facility.
- Weaver never wants to play two 1-AA opponents in a year. He wants to play
a BCS team every year, or perhaps two BCS teams.
- There is a chance that the road game at Cincinnati in 2012 could be moved
to a neutral site that will be better for Virginia Tech fans.
- This team has a great bunch of guys. They are hard workers. They spent all
summer here and worked hard for the season.
- Tech has five different jerseys and three different sets of pants. Karlin
likes the maroon uniforms because they don’t show dirt as much and he
doesn’t have to wash them as much to get the dirt out.
- Karlin recently started driving a fire truck for the fire department in
- Tech is wearing their white throwbacks against East Carolina on Thursday.
The throwbacks could end up becoming the full-time uniform for the Hokies.
- Don’t expect a black jersey from Tech. Their colors are maroon, orange and
- Karlin’s favorite all-time football game was the Sugar Bowl when the
Hokies beat Texas.
- Going to Syracuse was always nice, and going to Miami is always great.
Both stadiums have great locker rooms.
- Karlin thinks he knows what happened to Tech’s jerseys in the 2007 trip to
Georgia Tech, but he can’t tell anybody.
- Tech just needs to keep working. Sometimes things don’t go your way and
you have to keep working.
- This is a very close group of players. Nobody is bickering and arguing,
and certainly nobody is quitting.
- The best players Wang has faced were Derrick Morgan of Georgia Tech and
Everette Brown of Florida State.
- Wang’s parents were on the Chinese Olympic team. His dad did the high jump
and his mom did hurdles.
- Wang grew up in a hard working household. They took sports very seriously.
He played basketball and football growing up.
- Wang didn’t want to move to offensive tackle at first, but he finally
figured out that it was in his best interest.
- Wang’s favorite place to play besides Lane Stadium is at UVA because of
- Greg Boone is the biggest prankster on the team.
- Wang prefers all-maroon uniforms.
- The season will have a happy ending. They are going to work very hard for
- These games really come down to execution. Tech just isn’t executing 100%
of the time. They have to play better.
- It’s frustrating to get held so much, but it’s an honor as well if linemen
feel like they have to hold him.
- Worilds will be facing D.J. Scott, a huge lineman for ECU. He is a big
guy, and a brawler. The Hokies want to see how well he moves.
- Worilds felt comfortable playing on the left side after playing there all
of last year, and Nekos Brown felt comfortable playing on the right side.
- You learn a lot about yourself when you have to play hurt. You learn
exactly how much you love the game.
- The team is hungry right now. They worked so hard in the offseason. They
want to win.
- ECU is playing well right now. They are very experienced. The Hokies have
to play Virginia Tech football.
- Kevin Rogers recruited Worilds to Virginia Tech. He is a genuine guy all
the way around.
- The biggest difference between New Jersey and Blacksburg is that
Blacksburg is a college town.
- Virginia Tech has to come out, be physical and stop the run on Thursday
night. If they do that, the Hokies will win.
- His favorite place to play other than Lane Stadium is the Georgia Dome.
- Cody Grimm is the biggest prankster on the team.
- His favorite uniform combination is the orange jerseys with maroon pants.
- It’s a special experience to play for Frank Beamer. He’s a legend. You can
learn a lot by the way he runs the program.
- Worilds guaranteed that the team would keep working hard and keep fighting
for the Hokie Nation.
- Beamer is very disappointed with the loss, but if he was losing with bad
kids who didn’t care it would be a lot worse. The Hokies played very hard.
North Carolina just beat them.
- Tech did some good things offensively and defensively, but it wasn’t
- Sometimes you match up better with certain teams than others. The Hokies
are still young at a lot of positions.
- That early fumble was key. If the Hokies had gotten some early points, the
game might have gone differently with UNC coming off a tough loss.
- Beamer had no problem with running the ball on third and six. UNC was
playing the pass, and they were not expecting the run. The play was very
close to going for a lot of yards. It was a good call, it just didn’t work.
- Georgia Tech didn’t beat the Hokies twice. The Hokies had great effort and
preparation for UNC. Maybe they were even trying to do too much. North
Carolina had good players, and they won the game. It had nothing to do with
- Last year at this time, Virginia Tech was in the exact same position. They
were 5-3 and had lost two ACC games in a row. That team stuck together and
finished strong, and that’s what they are focused on doing this year.
- Beamer talked to the team about the 1998 team. They went through three
heartbreaking losses, but never quit and had a good season. They responded
- Tech needed to take advantage of field position in the last two games.
They could have had different results.
- Michael Via is a tough guy and a smart guy. He’ll give a great effort on
- Rashad Carmichael has had a great year. He’s a tough kid and the game
really means a lot to him.
- Tech definitely has an offensive system and an offensive philosophy. It’s
important to run the ball and throw the ball. Beamer said he likes to be
- The Hokies have a great chance to win the rest of their games, but they
have to be more consistent.
- Dwayne Harris of ECU is a real player. He is a very good receiver, and he
also runs the Wildcat offense. He’s a dynamic player.
- Patrick Pinkney is a very good quarterback. He is a sixth-year senior. He
knows what he’s doing.
- Dominique Lindsay is a great running back. He’s having a big year. This is
a very scary team.
- There will be an electric atmosphere on Thursday night. Everybody will be
excited. Beamer likes it that way.
- ECU and Virginia Tech have great respect for each other. Terry Holland
runs a great athletic department down there.
- Virginia Tech has to do a better job of taking care of the little things.
Take care of the little things, and the big things will come.
Monday was Day 1,801 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.