The Hokie Hotline (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can see the show in person at Awful Arthur’s in Blacksburg.
- Going on the road this time of the year is good for the basketball team.
It gets them off campus when everyone else is off campus. However, coming
back for a short home stand will be good.
- Greenberg is extremely disappointed in the way the team played over the
last 16 minutes of the Duke game. They showed resiliency early in the game
despite being down 11-0, but they stayed with it. It wasn’t there late in
the game, however.
- It’s tough to run an offense against Duke. They play such tight defense.
Tech didn’t respond well after the Hokies cut the lead to four in the second
- In this conference, you can’t let losses bother you because you have
another tough game coming up. The Duke game is now in the past, and the
Hokies have to stay in the present.
- The good thing about the Duke game is that it didn’t hurt the Hokies. Tech
was expected to lose the game. However, it didn’t help them either.
- Greenberg thought the Hokies competed hard up until that stretch when the
game got away from them. The culture of the Tech program is built around how
hard they play. The team needs to get back to that mindset.
Allen has to play better. It’s as simple as that. He got the ball in good
position three or four times against Duke, but he didn’t finish. He has to
collect himself at times. The Hokies need more from Allen. He’s got to post
harder and want the ball more.
- Cheick Diakite gave the Hokies great minutes. He played very good defense.
As a team, Tech isn’t taking enough charges. That’s a sign that they are
lacking toughness right now.
- Greenberg wants Lewis Witcher to contribute more. He needs to be more
efficient offensively. He needs to start playing with more energy.
- Dorenzo Hudson had great looks against Duke, he just missed them. He can’t
let missed shots affect the rest of his game. He’s got to produce more. It’s
the same with Terrell Bell, who backs up Hudson.
- The day before the Duke game was the first time the Hokies have had every
scholarship player together for practice. A.D. Vassallo, Hank Thorns and J.T.
Thompson have all missed significant practice time with injuries.
- Malcolm Delaney is getting better off the dribble. They are going to start
playing him more with Hank Thorns so he can play shooting guard.
- UVA is running more ball screens this year. They are playing man-to-man
defense, and they work really hard to rebound the basketball. They will be a
- Tech has played just five total home games, while other teams in the
conference have played as many as seven consecutive home games.
That’s a big difference.
- Greenberg wrote out a contract for his team on Monday and had every player
sign it. Everyone needs to know what he is accountable for, and they need to
carry it out.
- Tech’s best defensive performance of the year was against Xavier. They
have been spotty other than that. They need to get more consistent.
- These next three home games are very important. They need a great home
atmosphere. Fans need to come out and create the energy. That’s what Cassell
Coliseum is all about. College basketball is driven by passion.
- Greenberg will be in D.C. on Tuesday night to watch Erick Green play
DeMatha. Friday he’ll be out recruiting again. Green is playing at a very
high level this year. He’s playing in the best high school league in the
- Ben Boggs is still on crutches. He’s fighting through his broken leg. He
has a very high work ethic. He’s a throwback player, and he’ll bounce back
and be better than ever.
- It should be a good atmosphere for the UVA game on Saturday. It’s a big
game for both teams.
Monday was Day 1,500 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.