The Hokie Hotline (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can see the show in person at Awful Arthur’s in Blacksburg, and you can also watch the archive on hokietv.com.
Hokie Hotline Notes, sponsored by Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech
Dye River Course of Virginia Tech has expanded non-resident areas that
qualify for a lower membership rate. For more information, visit RiverCourseGolf.com,
or call 540-633-6732 or 1-888-PeteDye. Play the river course Friday, October
26th, the day after the Boston College game! Click
here to book your tee time.
- The Hokies will wear maroon pants and jerseys on Thursday night. There will
be orange socks with maroon stripes. The under sleeves will feature one orange
sleeve and one maroon sleeve, for those who will wear long sleeves under their
- The BC game will be Lester’s 350th consecutive Tech football game.
- Lester is a member of the Blacksburg Volunteer Rescue Squad. He’s been
nominated for the FedEx Orange Bowl-FWAA Courage Award, to be awarded at the end
of the season.. He was one of the first responders to the
shooting of April 16.
- During Tech’s first night game in Lane Stadium, against UVA, the Hokies
actually wore panty hose for cold weather. Lester bought them at K-Mart,
including queen size for the linemen.
- Chris Ellis has a tradition after every game. He throws his gloves in the
stands to fans. Lester joked that he didn’t like that very much.
- The Hokies will win Thursday, without a doubt.
- Kickoff time has been pushed up to 7:40 from 7:47. They want to get the first
quarter of the BC-VT game in before the first pitch of the World Series.
- This will be just the third game ever in Lane Stadium featuring two top 10
teams. It’s only the second time in the history of Thursday night football
that two top 10 teams meet.
- The Outback blimp will be hovering over Lane Stadium for the game on Thursday
night. It’s being housed at the Virginia Tech airport.
- There is a statewide fireworks ban, so there will be no fireworks for the game
on Thursday, because of the drought in Virginia this year. Tech was all set to
have fireworks as usual, but they aren’t allowed.
- No Golden Hokies received tickets to the UVA game. Only Platinum Hokies and
above got tickets.
- The men’s soccer team beat UNC on Friday night. Tech is ranked #5 in the
nation. Head coach Oliver Weiss is doing a great job.
- They are hoping the basketball season opener will be packed on November 9. It
is the night before the Florida State football game.
- They are heading in the direction of having a smaller band to take to road
games. The earliest that would happen would be next season.
- The Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Chick-fil-A Bowl will all have reps at the
game on Thursday. They will be joined by reps from the Champs Sports Bowl and
Meineke Car Care Bowl.
- Tyrod Taylor got more work on Monday. They hope to get him more work on
Tuesday, and more on Wednesday. He’ll be a game time decision.
- This is going to be a violent football game. Taylor doesn’t need to be in
there unless he’s a 100% and can do his thing.
- Cam Martin is doing much better, and he practiced a lot on Monday. Beamer
feels much better about him playing Thursday night.
Florida State is a good
target date for Vince Hall’s return.
- Boston College is big and tough. They are well-coached and they have good
players. Matt Ryan is healthy and playing great. He has great protection as
- BC’s run defense is very good. You just have to block them. There is no big
secret there. Being able to throw the football will also help keep BC honest.
- Tech had a really good practice on Sunday. Monday’s could have been better
at times. They have to prepare well in practice. They can’t just expect to
play well because it’s a Thursday night game.
- Brett Warren has to be good in his pass coverage again. He was good against
Duke. They know what they are going to get from Warren.
- Beamer hopes Tech is further along in protection right now. Sean Glennon was
able to move around pretty well in the pocket against Duke. He had an
exceptional practice on Monday.
- BC offensive coordinator Steve Logan takes great pride on being
unpredictable. He keeps you on your toes.
- Andre Smith has been practicing very well at tight end. You might see him in
there a little more against BC.
- Branden Ore is more healthy than he’s been in some time. It would be big
for Tech if they could get him going.
- Glennon has always practiced well, but he’s been sharper than usual the
last two days, particularly on Monday.
- Thursday night football has been great for Virginia Tech. They’ve either
been the only game on, or the biggest game on. There have been a lot of great
moments, such as beating WVU in 1994, Corey Moore vs. Clemson in 1999, and Texas
A&M in Hurricane Isabel. Hopefully this Thursday will be another one.
- They’ll know more about Tyrod Taylor in the next couple of days. They feel
confident no matter which quarterback is in the game.
Monday was Day 1,052 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.