The Hokie Hotline (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can also watch the archive on hokietv.com.
Hokie Hotline Notes, sponsored by Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech
Dye River Course of Virginia Tech has new expanded non-resident areas that
qualify for a lower membership rate. They are also waiving the initiation fee
for new members from now until April 1st! For more information, visit RiverCourseGolf.com,
or call 540-633-6732 or 1-888-PeteDye.
- The Hokie Club raised $26,700 at the Hokie Celebration following the win
over Miami on Saturday. All that money will go to the new basketball
practice facility. That type of money shatters what is normally raised at
football kickoff picnics in Cassell.
- Virginia Tech currently holds the tiebreaker over everyone else in the top
4 of the ACC, with one game against UVA remaining.
- The coaching staff put in their defensive foundation for the UVA game in
practice on Monday, so practice went a little longer. They’ll spend the next
two days practicing it in hopes of playing a great game on Thursday night.
- The winner of this game will stay alive to win the ACC Championship. It
should be a great game and a great atmosphere. Who would have though Tech
and UVA would be competing for an ACC Championship on March 1?
- Virginia Tech played a great game against UVA earlier this month.
Greenberg thinks UVA will go small for much of the game to try to counter
Tech’s athleticism. They could play Adrian Joseph a lot at the 4 position.
- Thursday night will be Senior Night for J.R. Reynolds and Jason Cain.
Those guys will be fired up.
- Greenberg said he reacted differently following the NC State game because
he knows there will be days like that in the ACC. It’s not like football,
you can’t expect to win every game. There is no “Duke football” in
- The team played terrific against Boston College. They were tough,
unselfish, they competed on the boards and they matched BC’s intensity.
- Next Sunday in Cassell Coliseum will be great. They have five great
seniors, and it’s going to be fun to see those guys honored before the game.
- Virginia Tech will do some different things against UVA, but it will be
very subtle. They aren’t going to change who they are.
- UVA is much more than just Singletary and Reynolds. Everyone on that team
has a role, and they carry it out very well. They play good basketball.
- The Marshall road game this year was part of a contract signed by the
previous staff. Next year Tech will play two in a holiday event in Madison
Square Garden. St. John’s is the only other known team in that event at this
Hokies will likely play another made for television, neutral court game next
year. They will play in Puerto Rico during the 2008-09 season (A.D.
Vassallo’s senior year.)
- A.D. Vassallo is shooting 52% from three-point range in ACC play. The team
is doing a good job of getting him the ball for open looks. The best thing
about the team right now is that they understand each other’s roles.
- Having the ACC tournament in Tampa shows that the league is dedicated to
all their members. Next year the conference is moving their media day to
- The ACC tournament is as much a social event as it is a basketball event.
There is lot of common rivalry at the event, but there is also a common bond
shared by all fans. That’s what makes the ACC tournament special and
- Jamon Gordon and Cheick Diakite are fine. Gordon was injured during the
game, but checked out fine and he’s 100%. Diakite had a fainting spell at
the Hokie Celebration, but he’s fine.
- Seth wants the new practice facility to have the following features: two
practice floors, a theater, a meeting room, locker rooms, their own weight
room, an office complex, and a lounge for the players. Virginia Tech needs a
“wow” factor for their basketball program and a new basketball facility
would accomplish that.
- Greenberg doesn’t want to leave Cassell Coliseum. It is a great home court
advantage. A new practice facility would be great for recruiting, and it
would show that the Hokies are committed to basketball.
- Right now Tech basketball has nothing that sets them apart from other ACC
schools, and that hurts recruiting. When they bring recruits into the
Merryman Center, the first thing they see is Michael Vick Hall, which
reinforces what coaches at other schools are telling them about Tech …
that the Hokies aren’t committed to basketball.
- The best thing Tech has going for it is that Jim Weaver is really
committed to facilities, and Greenberg really thinks this new facility is
going to happen, and the sooner the better.
- Virginia is a very good team. They play hard defensively and they shoot
the ball well from the perimeter. Adrian Joseph really concerns Greenberg,
because he got some open looks in the first meeting but he didn’t knock them
- UVA pushes the ball really hard. The Hokies have to keep them off the free
throw line, and they have to rebound.
Monday was Day 821 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.