The Hokie Hotline (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can also watch the archive on hokietv.com.
- Greenberg said he was disappointed with a couple of things from the Old
Spice Classic. First of all, the team didn’t guard as well as they were
capable. And second, no one established a frontcourt presence until the last
game against Southern Illinois.
- The team played very hard except for about seven minutes in the first game
against Western Michigan. Dowdell and Gordon turned the ball over a little
more than usual in the games Tech lost. It was nice to see Cheick Diakite
play well against Southern Illinois.
- They want Coleman Collins to play well, but until he does, someone else
will get a chance. Diakite will start against Iowa on Wednesday. Lewis
Witcher is back from his injury that forced him to miss Sunday’s game.
- Greenberg likes the team a lot, especially the perimeter game. He thinks
the team came together some in the Southern Illinois game, if you judge from
the reactions of the players on the bench during the game
- There is no formula that will light a fire under Collins. He has some
issues that he has to get through on his own.
- Jeff Allen is as good a frontcourt player as there is in the country. Gus
Gilchrist is 6-9 and physical. Terrell Bell is long and agile, similar in
some ways to Deron Washington. Malcolm Delaney and Dorenzo Hudson are guys
who can score. The staff is very excited about this recruiting class.
- The Hokies lost to Southern Illinois in the first three minutes of each
half. However, he was pleased that each time Tech got down by 11 or 12, they
came back. They kept fighting back.
- Greenberg believes Virginia Tech’s perimeter game is as good as any in the
ACC with Jamon Gordon, Zabian Dowdell, Deron Washington, A.D. Vassallo,
Markus Sailes and Nigel Munson. They will win some games for Tech. But they
need the inside players to step up as well.
- Iowa has a good tradition of basketball. They are the defending Big Ten
tournament champs. They are young this year, however. Their perimeter game
is very strong. Their inside players are long, but not overly athletic. They
will mix man-to-man and zone defenses.
- The Hokies do have a shot at an at-large bid to the BCS. They are going to
do everything in their power to take advantage of that opportunity if it
- Weaver said he would hope the Chick-fil-A Bowl would not pick GT over VT
if the Yellow Jackets lose to Wake Forest on Saturday. A lot of things could
happen, and we just need to let it all play out.
- Weaver said he thinks the Rose Bowl will play their own game and create a
Michigan-Notre Dame rematch. The Rose Bowl operates totally different from
the other bowl games.
- Bud Foster has done a lot in his coaching career, and it would be
understandable if he had aspirations to be a head coach. Weaver is unaware
of Foster’s involvement with any coaching vacancies.
- Weaver isn’t sure whether the ACC will extend their contract with
Jacksonville for the ACC Championship Game. It will probably depend on this
weekend. But the Gator Bowl people do a great job of organizing the event.
- The Hokies would love to play Tennessee. They have a chance to play them
in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
- Weaver said he hasn’t been contacted by any other school about getting
permission to pursue Frank Beamer.
- Beamer is proud of his team for hanging in there and winning the way they
did this season. The defense played great every week. The offense played
hard. Not always well, but they were opportunistic.
- Virginia Tech only allowed two touchdowns in the last six games. The
defense has been extremely consistent for six straight games.
- Beamer expects all injured players to be back for the bowl game, including
starting left guard Ryan Shuman. Sergio Render and Branden Ore should be
good to go as well.
- It has been a great accomplishment to win 10 games with this football
team. There were a lot of holes to fill. A lot of inexperienced players had
to play, and they did very well for the most part.
- Beamer told Roth that he and his staff are staying in Blacksburg. They got
their contract situation squared away last year, and they have no plans to
- Beamer said NC State had a good head coach in Mike O’Cain, but they
decided not to keep him. They will go after a big name coach to try and
match UNC’s hire of Butch Davis.
- Right now, the Hokies don’t have any underclassmen that are petitioning
the NFL for their likely position in the NFL Draft. The forms came in
recently, but as of now, no one has been involved with the process.
- Brandon Pace has been a really good kicker this year. It was a shame to
see his streak come to an end against UVA, but he could very well have a
future at the next level.
- Beamer said it is interesting that the BCS people haven’t released
Virginia Tech. That gives them a possibility to land in the BCS. After that,
the bowl situation isn’t clear. Any bowl is a good bowl.
- The Hokies only had three penalties against UVA. That has been a key in
the winning streak. Tech has played with discipline.
- Beamer and Mike O’Cain go way back. They coached together at The Citadel
and Murray State. He is a good coach. He has done a great job with Sean
Glennon this year. Glennon has played really well for the most part. O’Cain
is always very calm.
- One reason why Beamer loves Tech so much is that he has been a part of its
growth. When he looks around and sees new facilities and new practice
fields, it feels good to know he was a part of it.
- Brandon Pace deserves to be a finalist for the Lou Groza Award for best
kicker in the nation, but unfortunately he was left off the list. That’s not
fair, because he is definitely one of the best kickers in the country, if
not the best.
- If Reggie Ball gets hot, then Georgia Tech has a great chance to win the
ACC. But Wake Forest is on a roll and playing good football and Beamer
thinks they’ll win the game.
- Notre Dame has a lot of appeal across the country. There are a lot of
different opinions about the Fighting Irish, but it looks like they are
heading to the BCS.
- It’s a credit to the players and coaches for how this season turned out.
They have worked hard, they made adjustments when they had to, and they
gradually improved as a team.
Monday was Day 730 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.