The Hokie Hotline (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can also watch the archive on hokietv.com.
- Foster likes the way the defense practices. They have a good mix of
athleticism and experience. He thinks they can be more athletic than last
- Macho Harris learned to play the game last fall, really matured in the
offseason, and was ready to go in the spring. He can be a special player.
Brandon Flowers is outstanding as well. He is smart and physical.
- Kam Chancellor is outstanding. He is very athletic and physical. Foster
likes the freshman defensive class as a whole. Jason Adjepong, Nekos Brown
and Stephan Virgil will play as well.
- Xavier Adibi is set to have a huge season. The game is slowing down for
him, and he is speeding up.
- Foster said he thinks the offensive line has really improved throughout
August. Depth is still an issue with them, but they have made a lot of
strides and Curt Newsome has done a great job.
- Foster mentioned that he has been keeping his eye on Torrian Gray for
several years as a possibility for a coaching position, and one finally came
open in the offseason. There will be very little growing pains within the
new staff, if any. They might even be better out of the gate.
- Foster was asked if he wanted to be a head coach. He said he does have
some future goals, but right now he’s concentrating on life one day at a
- Foster said he gave last year’s lunch pail to Darryl Tapp. He deserved
to take it with him. Aaron Rouse is carrying the new lunch pail.
- Brenden Hill has emerged as the starting whip linebacker this fall. He has
shown a lot of improvement since spring practice. Corey Gordon is a little
behind him right now, but they think he can develop into a good football
- Weaver said there are major improvements to getting into the stadium this
season. Students are allowed to go into any gate (with a student ticket and
a valid student ID/Hokie Passport), and there is a new gate behind the
middle section of the east stands, Gate 8.
- The Walk is changing locations. The team will now get off the buses on
Washington Street and walk to the Merryman Center. It will start at 11:30 am
- If Georgia Tech upsets Notre Dame and both VT and GT are undefeated, there
is a possibility that the Hokies will play the Yellow Jackets at night. The
other game they are looking at for that night is Michigan and Minnesota.
- Weaver said there needs to be a limit to what schools will pay smaller
conference teams for home games. The prices are going through the roof, and
they need to be limited. In basketball, they could end up playing more
conference games to keep the price down for guarantees.
- Weaver said he doesn’t see the WVU series coming back in the near
future. The Hokies are booked up through 2017.
- There are a limited number of tickets available through the VT ticket
office for games at UNC, Wake Forest and Miami.
- Beamer said they actually may start practice a couple of days later next
year. He’s a fan of good, quick practices that get a lot done. Eventually
teams just get tired of hitting each other.
- The team has accomplished a lot in August. The kicking game has improved
- Greg Boone is going to be a really good tight end. He’s losing some
weight, and that’s really going to help him. Sam Wheeler is going to be
good as well. His toe injury in August has really held him back. He is a
- Cory Holt injured his hand on a helmet in practice the other day, and he
is having trouble throwing the football. Ike Whitaker will serve as the #2
quarterback against Northeastern.
- Jason Adjepong has a couple of slightly injured shoulders, and it has held
him back in the weight room. But he is still good, and he’s going to play.
- Virgil still may not play. Jahre Cheeseman and Roland Minor will be back
sometime in September, Cheeseman maybe by the UNC game. So Virgil will dress
out against Northeastern, but may or may not play.
- Beamer said Aaron Rouse has developed quite a bit. He carries the lunch
pail, and Beamer is very proud of him. He has stepped up and become a leader
of the team.
- Beamer said Mike Gentry has done a great job with the team in the
offseason. He kept them focused and working hard in the weight room.
- Beamer said it’s important to pay a lot of attention to people. You have
to figure out how people interact together and how they fit together. If you
can do that, you can have better efficiency.
- Sean Glennon has established himself as a consistent quarterback. He looks
like he’s going to do well, and everybody is pulling for him.
Monday was Day 639 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.