Fourteen of Virginia Tech’s 18 commitments in the class of 2014 were in action this past week. 6’0″, 205-pound tailback Marshawn Williams headlines last week’s top performers, turning in a record-setting performance for the Phoebus Phantoms.
Marshawn Williams Sets Career, District Records
Williams set a Peninsula District record with eight touchdowns (2, 28, 9, 57, 55, 12, 64, 4) as Phoebus (Hampton, VA) blasted Warwick, 56-7. Williams had a career-high 308 yards rushing as well, helping the Phantoms improve to 2-1 in the 2013 season.
The bruising running back prospect is in his first year at Phoebus after transferring from Hampton High, where he played his first three season. Through three games he has rushed for 540 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Rundown of the rest of VT’s class
- WR Jaylen Bradshaw hauled in a 37-yard touchdown reception as Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA) destroyed Indian River, 61-0, to improve to 2-0 on the year. Junior tailback Deshawn McClease , a player with several FBS scholarship offers including one from the Hokies, shined in the win, rushing for over 100 yards and five touchdowns.
- DB/WR Terrell Edmunds had a touchdown reception and a touchdown run but Dan River (Ringgold, VA) lost to Tunstall, 17-14. The Wildcats are now 2-1.
- Fueled by four touchdown passes from quarterback Andrew Ford , Cedar Cliff (Camp Hill, PA) rolled over Susquenita, 49-0, to capture its third straight win to start the season. Ford has 10 touchdown passes this season. Check out highlights here.
- Following a loss to Pennridge last week, Council Rock South (Holland, PA) has lost three straight to start the 2013 season. CRS features Virginia Tech offensive guard/center recruit Eric Gallo .
- Kathleen (Lakeland, FL) overtook Lake Gibson, 45-44, in five overtimes. WR/CB Javon Harrison scored two 4th quarter touchdowns, including a 21-yard touchdown reception late in regulation that sent the game into overtime. Harrison, a special teams dynamo, blocked a punt as well.
Kathleen is 2-1 on the year.
- Despite standout defensive end Vinny Mihota sidelined with a foot injury (he is expected to return in 2-3 weeks), Massaponax (Fredericksburg, VA) downed Chancellor 35-6. The Panthers improve to 3-0.
- Paramus Catholic (Paramus, N.J.), which features VT offensive line recruit Billy Ray Mitchell , defeated Dumbarton by a score of 30-18. PC is 2-0 heading into this Saturday’s contest against DePaul.
- WR/DB Shawn Payne had a touchdown reception and was on the receiving end of a 2-point conversion as L.C. Bird (Chesterfield, VA) blew away George Wythe, 72-0. The Skyhawks are 2-0.
- Patrick Henry (Deshler, OH), which is led by senior OL Colt Pettit , defeated Montpelier 49-7. The Patriots (2-1) have outscored their opponents 109-20 the last two weeks.
- DeMatha Catholic, which features VT-bound wide receiver Cam Phillips , cruised to a 41-6 win over Baltimore (MD) St. Frances last weekend. The Stags are 3-1 heading into this week’s contest against WCAC rival St. John’s.
- Safety prospect CJ Reavis and the Thomas Dale Knights (Chester, VA) surrendered a 3-point fourth quarter lead in a 27-17 loss to Varina. Dale is 1-2. Top class of 2015 recruit defensive tackle Darvin Taylor II returned a fumble 17 yards for a touchdown in the loss. He also had 14 tackles, two sacks, and an interception. Virginia Tech is one of many major FBS scholarship offers Taylor has received.
- Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.), which is led by offensive lineman Tyrell Smith , headed to California last week but fell to Mission Viejo, 28-25. The Ironmen (1-1) will face Miami (FL) Central High School at home this week.
- Bishop Ready (Columbus, OH) downed Briggs, 63-20, for its third straight win to start the season. Virginia Tech offensive tackle recruit Brady Taylor is a major contributor on both sides of the line for Bishop Ready.
- Xavier Burke , TE/DL out of Lawrenceville (VA) Brunswick (0-2)
- Travon McMillian , QB/ATH out of Woodbridge (VA) Hylton (2-0)
- Michael Santamaria , PK out of Athens (GA) Athens Academy (1-1)
- Greg Stroman , CB out of Manassas (VA) Stonewall Jackson (1-1, last week’s game postponed due to weather)
Previous “Week In Review” Reports, The 2013 Season