The “Recruiting Report” is back with the latest scholarship numbers, key dates, and recent developments on the Virginia Tech football recruiting front.
Scholarship Count, 2016 Season
Chris Coleman had an excellent scholarship breakdown of the 2015 season (read it by clicking here). Based off of that report and also including the recent news that class of 2015 defensive tackle recruit Eric Whitehead is headed to junior college, the current projected scholarship count for the 2016 season is 78. Note that this does not include class of 2016 verbal commitments, but it does project place-kicker Joey Slye to be on scholarship and it does include running back Shai McKenzie, who is currently suspended.
Below is a breakdown, by position, of the projected scholarship number in the 2016 season.
– 4 Quarterbacks, including one senior (Brenden Motley)
– 6 Tailbacks, including one senior (Trey Edmunds)
– 2 Fullbacks, each of whom is a senior (Sam Rogers, Jerome Wright)
– 8 Wide Receivers (slotting Coleman Fox here), including two seniors (Joel Caleb, Charley Meyer)
– 5 Tight Ends, including one senior (Dakota Jackson)
– 17 Offensive Linemen, including four seniors (Augie Conte, Jonathan McLaughlin, Alston Smith, Jack Willenbrock)
– 7 Defensive Ends, including one senior (Ken Ekanem)
– 6 Defensive Tackles, including two seniors (Woody Baron, Nigel Williams)
– 5 Linebackers (no seniors)
– 1 Whip Linebacker (no seniors)
– 7 Cornerbacks, including two seniors (Chuck Clark, Kendall Fuller)
– 8 Safeties (Free Safeties/Rovers), including two seniors (Desmond Frye, Der’woun Greene)
– 2 Place-kickers (No seniors)
Here is the projected position breakdown for all nine of Virginia Tech’s class of 2016 recruits, who are not included in the breakdown above…
Subscribe to read full story
Tired of low effort articles and clickbait? So are we. Subscribe to read great articles written by a full-time staff with decades of experience.
Already a subscriber? Login Here