The Latest On Devin and Ronny Vandyke

Share on your favorite social network:
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail to someoneGoogle+share on TumblrShare on Reddit

Before receiving his first scholarship offer, South County (Lorton, VA) linebacker Devin Vandyke made a pact with himself. If he reached double-digit offers, he wouldn’t participate in any one-day camps this summer. Thanks to recent offers from Syracuse and Virginia Tech, the 6-1, 210-pound rising senior can look forward to a camp-free summer.

Vandyke admits to being surprised at the Virginia Tech offer, originally thinking he would have to camp in Blacksburg this summer before one would come. He had started to put Tech on the backburner before the offer came.

“Coach Foster said he wanted to offer, but it was up to Coach Beamer,” Vandyke said. “Coach Beamer saw my tape the weekend they did more evaluations and he decided to offer. Coach Foster was happy he did.”

Devin is the younger brother of Ronny Vandyke, who signed with the Hokies in the 2011 class and expects to enroll at Tech in early July. Devin discussed what impact, if any, his brother being in Blacksburg has on his own college decision.

“I think it is a good impact,” Devin said. “If I went there he can tell me what to expect, what to know, how to prepare. I’d have an advantage on other guys coming in. The only con there might be is I’ve been with him all my life, so we’d be together another four years and we wouldn’t really be going our separate ways. Him being there wouldn’t really change my decision.”

Boston College, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Kentucky, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest and West Virginia join the Hokies and the Orange on Vandyke’s offer list In the coming weeks, the Stallions standout rising senior plans to take more college visits in hopes of at least narrowing the field.

“I plan on visiting Kentucky, ECU, N.C. State, and Wake Forest within the next three weeks. I’ll probably end up going to Virginia Tech a week or two after my brother reports,” Vandyke said. “I’ll probably go back to Vanderbilt as well.

“Right now, I don’t plan on making a decision anytime during the summertime. I thought I was going to, but now I don’t plan to.”

Is there a chance a commitment could come this spring or summer?

“Definitely,” he answered. “If I feel like there is no other