VT Among New Schools Hoping To Sway Highland Springs’ Wallace
Highland Springs (VA) defensive back/wide receiver K’Von Wallace verbally committed to the University of Cincinnati last July. The question is, will he stick with that decision? Wallace has seen his recruitment heat up, landing scholarship offers from Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Arizona, and now Maryland this month. The 6’1″, 180-pound senior took an official visit to Cincinnati last weekend and is scheduled to go to Virginia Tech this weekend and Pittsburgh the final weekend before National Signing Day on February 3.
Wallace was a late bloomer in his high school career, playing on the junior varsity as a sophomore and serving as a backup his junior year. As a senior, though, he was an important piece of a Highland Springs squad that captured the 5A state championship. Wallace totaled over 1,000 yards of offense (718 receiving, 376 rushing) and 14 touchdowns in the 2015 season. He had two scores in the state title win over Stone Bridge.
An “athlete” recruit, Wallace earned first-team all-state honors at receiver as well as at defensive back. Check out his senior season highlights below.
More Recruiting News, Notes, & Links
– In addition to Wallace, Virginia Tech offered another class of 2016 prospect in Coney Durr, who tweeted the news last night. Durr, a Minnesota commit, took an official visit to North Carolina last weekend and the Tar Heels offered while he was on that trip.
We will confirm what the Dutchtown High School (Geismar, LA) star’s potential visit plans for Virginia Tech are as soon as possible.
– Lafayette (Williamsburg, VA) linebacker Chase Pine tweeted that he is “fully committed” to Pittsburgh after making an official visit there last week. Pine committed to the Panthers last summer but has kept in touch with Virginia Tech throughout.
– Corey Bender of Scout.com reported that UNC linebacker commitment Dominique Ross will be in Blacksburg on an official visit this weekend. Ross, a product of Trinity Christian Academy (Jacksonville, FL), traveled to UNC for an official last weekend.
– Grady (Atlanta, GA) senior defensive back/wide receiver prospect Marlon Character reportedly will take an official visit to Virginia Tech this weekend, although most reports — including this one — lead you to believe that this remains a two-school race between Auburn and South Carolina.
Character made an official to South Carolina last weekend, is set for Virginia Tech this weekend, and will take an official to Auburn the final weekend before National Signing Day.
– On the class of 2017 recruiting front, Virginia Tech offered a pair of Sunshine State juniors yesterday.
Columbus (Miami, FL) running back/wide receiver Christopher Henderson tweeted last night that Virginia Tech offered a scholarship. Florida, Kentucky, Miami, Southern Cal and West Virginia have also offered the 6’0″, 175-pound speedster.
Multiple outlets including ESPN and Scout reported that Blake Vinson, a 6’5″, 285-pound offensive line prospect out of North Marion High School (Citra, FL), also received an offer from the Hokies. Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Miami and many others had offered the talented lineman previously.
– Recruit757.com reports that Nansemond-Suffolk Academy senior linebacker Daniel Griffith has accepted a preferred walk-on offer from Virginia Tech.