It’s time for the poll of all polls. Who are your top three candidates to replace Frank Beamer as Virginia Tech’s head football coach? Whit Babcock has a big decision to make, but who would your top picks be if you were in his shoes?
There’s no perfect way to do a poll like this. The reason we decided to make it a three-choice poll is because we have no way of knowing which coach is available to Virginia Tech and which is not. We also don’t know who is on Whit Babcock’s list and who is not. So to simplify things, just pick your top three candidates.
We also realize that many of your choices will be based around whether or not Bud Foster returns as Virginia Tech’s defensive coordinator. If you’d prefer Foster to stay, pretend he’s staying and vote for your favorite candidates. If you’d prefer Foster to move on, just pretend he’s moving on and vote for your favorite candidates. Or, if you want Foster to run the show in the post-Beamer era, include him as one of your top three candidates.
13 candidates are listed, and we tried to include the names that have been mentioned the most on the message boards, as well as in various articles by local and national beat writers. Choices are listed in alphabetical order.
Here are the 13 candidates. Choose your top three.
Who are your TOP THREE (3) candidates for Virginia Tech's head coaching position?
- Tom Herman, Houston head coach (15%, 2,615 Votes)
- Bud Foster, VT defensive coordinator (15%, 2,548 Votes)
- Mark Richt, Georgia head coach (12%, 2,028 Votes)
- Justin Fuente, Memphis head coach (12%, 2,010 Votes)
- Chad Morris, SMU head coach (11%, 1,893 Votes)
- Larry Fedora, UNC head coach (9%, 1,578 Votes)
- Rich Rodriguez, Arizona head coach (7%, 1,176 Votes)
- Kirby Smart, Alabama defensive coordinator (6%, 969 Votes)
- Dan Mullen, Mississippi State head coach (5%, 841 Votes)
- Pep Hamilton, former offensive coordinator for Stanford and the Indianapolis Colts (5%, 811 Votes)
- Matt Rhule, Temple head coach (3%, 524 Votes)
- Matt Campbell, Toledo head coach (2%, 279 Votes)
- Dino Babers, Bowling Green head coach (1%, 148 Votes)
Total Voters: 6,277