Another week of strong performances from Virginia Tech-bound recruits. Of the 16 high school football teams that feature Virginia Tech recruits, only two went down in defeat last week.
Linebacker Emmanuel Belmar, who helped his team gain its first victory of the season, and wide receiver Eric Kumah, who dominated in a win over fellow future Hokies Reggie Floyd and Devante Smith, are among the “Gridiron Stars” from last week’s action.
– Quarterback Joshua Jackson passed for one touchdown and rushed for another as the Saline Hornets (MI) cruised to a 43-0 win over Bedford last week. Saline remains perfect at 4-0 on the season. Check out highlights of Jackson’s latest performance here…
– Hampton (VA) is 3-0 following last week’s 36-20 win over Woodside. JoVonn Quillen Jr., Hampton’s quarterback and primary offensive threat, totaled 229 yards of offense (121 passing, 108 rushing) and two touchdowns (1 pass, 1 rush) in the win.
– Wide receiver Sam Denmark had nine receptions for 72 yards, but Hanahan (S.C.) was shutout by Cane Bay by a score of 17-0. The loss was the first of the season for Hanahan, which has won three.
– Three Virginia Tech recruits were in action when Woodbridge (VA) Forest Park faced off against Manassas (VA) Stonewall Jackson last week. Eric Kumah, a senior wide receiver, had a huge game, hauling in six receptions for 208 yards and a touchdown (91 yards) while helping Forest Park (3-1) to a 50-20 win. Senior running back/safety Reggie Floyd paced Stonewall Jackson (0-4) with 104 yards rushing and three scores (2 rush, 1 receiving), while junior athlete Devante Smith had 84 yards rushing, 84 yards passing, one touchdown pass and one interception.
Kumah’s highlights are below.
– Phillip Patterson hauled in a 41-yard touchdown reception as Virginia Beach (VA) Bayside defeated Tallwood, 26-12, to remain undefeated at 4-0.
– Tavante Beckett will play linebacker at Virginia Tech; however, last week he had two touchdown receptions in Chesapeake (VA) Indian River’s 50-21 win over a quality King’s Fork squad. Indian River improves to 3-0 on the season. Up next is a Friday night matchup with Grassfield, which features Virginia Tech class of 2016 targets Grant Holloway and Patrick Jones II.
– Linebacker Emmanuel Belmar accounted for two sacks and a fumble recover as Suwanee (GA) Collins Hill defeated North Gwinnett, 52-23, for its first win of 2015. The Eagles dropped their first three contests this season.
Here are highlights from the first four games of Belmar’s senior year…
– Virginia Tech linebacker prospect Victor Greene rushed 11 times for 103 yards — including a 49-yard touchdown run — as Spotsylvania (VA) Courtland crushed Fauquier, 43-0. Courtland has won three straight since losing its season opener by just one point.
– Cornerback recruit Troy Pride Jr. forced and recovered a fumble and blocked an extra point as Greer (S.C.) defeated Emerald, 39-20. The Yellow Jackets are a perfect 4-0 to start the 2015 season.
Here are Pride’s highlights from last week’s victory…
– Upper Marlboro (MD) Wise, which features Virginia Tech-bound defensive back Myles Wolfolk, blanked Potomac, 43-0, to move to 3-0 on the season. The Pumas are averaging 45 points per game and have surrendered just six points all season.
Here is how the rest of Virginia Tech’s class of 2016 fared last week:
WON: Divine Deablo, WR, Winston-Salem (N.C.) Mount Tabor (3-2); Clay Dean, DT, Purcellville (VA) Woodgrove (3-1); Thomas Jarrett Hopple, OL, Suffolk (VA) Nansemond River (3-1); Patrick Kearns, OL, Rome (GA) Darlington (3-0)
LOST: Jimmie Taylor IV, DE, Jacksonville (N.C.) Southwest Onslow (2-3)