The Recruiting Week In Review takes a look at what transpired in the world of recruiting last week. I begin with a look at how Virginia Tech’s football commitments performed on the gridiron…
STARS OF THE GRIDIRON
– Quarterback Joshua Jackson completed 11 of 21 passes for 98 yards with three touchdowns and one interception while helping Saline (MI) to a 55-14 win over Toronto St. Michael’s College. The Hornets have two straight wins to start the 2015 season.
– Wide receiver Sam Denmark had six catches for 78 yards in the first half of Hanahan’s 45-20 win over Bishop England. The South Carolina product has helped his team to a perfect 3-0 start to the 2015 season. MaxPreps has highlights of the future Hokie below.
– Woodbridge (VA) Forest Park (2-0) wide receiver recruit Eric Kumah made the most of his four receptions, scoring touchdowns on three of them as his team defeated Patriot, 54-6. Kumah totaled 175 yards receiving, including touchdown receptions of 75, 45 and 38 yards.
– Wide receiver Phillip Patterson hauled in a pair of 25-yard touchdown receptions as Virginia Beach (VA) Bayside defeated Kempsville, 48-7, and improved to 2-0 on the season. Patterson has five touchdowns — three on offense and two on defense — so far this season.
– Winston-Salem (N.C.) Mount Tabor, which features Virginia Tech-bound wide receiver Divine Deablo, lost to Carver last week, 26-20, to fall to 1-2. WXII12.com had a short feature on the standout senior, which you can see by clicking here.
– Linebacker recruit Victor Greene led a tough Spotsylvania (VA) Courtland defense in a 7-6 win over Riverbend last week. Greene also rushed nine times for 62 yards for the Cougars (1-1).
– Cornerback prospect Troy Pride Jr. recorded an interception and returned a punt 56 yards for a score as Greer (S.C.) downed Riverside, 49-6. Greer is now 2-0. Watch Pride’s pick here (from MaxPreps)…
Here is how the rest of Virginia Tech’s football recruits performed last week…
LOST: LB Emmanuel Belmar, Suwanee (GA) Collins Hill (0-3); RB/S Reggie Floyd and ATH Devante Smith (class of 2017), Manassas (VA) Stonewall Jackson (0-2); OL Thomas Jarrett Hopple, Suffolk (VA) Nansemond River (1-1)
TWEETS & LINKS:
– Class of 2016 wide receiver target Grant Holloway tweeted this highlight from his senior season. You can also read a short update on the Chesapeake (VA) Grassfield standout’s recruitment by clicking here.
– Chesapeake (VA) Oscar Smith junior quarterback Shon Mitchell tweeted his support for Virginia Tech prior to the Ohio State game. Mitchell, who has been offered by the Hokies, was one of many top juniors in attendance for Tech’s season opener. Athlete Devon Hunter, linebacker Dylan Rivers and defensive end Tyjuan Garbutt were among the other notable top in-state juniors in Lane as well on Monday.
– The Fredericksburg Free Lance Star posted this article on North Stafford (Stafford, VA) freshman running back/athlete Devyn Ford. No offers yet, but Ford is off to an impressive start to his high school career. He attended a VT camp this summer.
– On the basketball recruiting front, junior college basketball recruiting expert Brad Winton tweeted that Lee College (TX) forward Duop Reath was scheduled to take an official to Tech last Sunday through this Tuesday.
– Upward Stars tweeted that class of 2016 power forward Khadim Sy visited Virginia Tech this past weekend. Sy, a 6’9″ prospect, attends prep power Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia.