The biggest news for Virginia Tech football last week was gaining a verbal commitment from 6’3″, 205-pound rising senior wide receiver Eric Kumah, who became the 11th prospect to join Tech’s 2016 Class (TSL Pass subscribers can read my full report by clicking here). Kumah’s commitment certainly isn’t the only football recruiting news within the past week. Here are the latest headlines…
DT JORDAN DOWN TO 3
It’ll be Penn State, Maryland or Virginia Tech for Gilman (Baltimore, MD) class of 2016 defensive tackle Ellison Jordan.
— Boy Dawg (@bigeazy95) June 20, 2015
Jordan, a 6’0″, 270-pound prospect, is rated a 4-star prospect by 247Sports and Rivals.
LAKE TAYLOR PROSPECTS VISIT VT
A group of Lake Taylor (Norfolk, VA) prospects were in Blacksburg this past Saturday. At this point, the headliner as far as Virginia Tech is concerned is cornerback Wayne Davis, one of the top overall prospects in the state in the class of 2016.
Davis revealed his “official top 3” last week. The short list includes Michigan, Ohio State and Virginia Tech. He also added an offer from Maryland yesterday.
Class of 2016 offensive lineman Mike Carney, a prospect who claims offers from Auburn and Virginia, was at Tech as well. At this point Virginia Tech has not offered the 6’4″, 315-pound rising senior a scholarship.
PENNSYLVANIA DB VISITS, TOO
Hudson, a 5’11”, 200-pound defensive back out of McKeesport (PA), boasts over 20 major FBS scholarship offers including Virginia Tech, Boston College, Maryland, Michigan State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
A trio of Good Counsel (Olney, MD) products landed scholarship offers from Virginia Tech in the past week. Click on the player’s name to view his recruiting card and highlights.
– Jordan Anthony, 6’1″, 205 pounds, LB/RB, Class of 2017, Good Counsel (Olney, MD)
– Ayinde Eley, 6’5″, 200 pounds, OLB/WR, Class of 2017, Good Counsel (Olney, MD)
– Joshua Paschal, 6’4″, 255 pounds, DE, Class of 2017, Good Counsel (Olney, MD)
Virginia Tech has also extended a scholarship offer to LC Bird (Chesterfield, VA) class of 2017 linebacker Rayshard Ashby. Ashby, who hails from the same school that produced current Hokies linebacker Deon Clarke, is about 6’1″, 210 pounds, has been a highly productive player for the Skyhawks. He had a monster 5A state championship game in 2014, helping the Skyhawks to the title.
OFF THE BOARD
– In what was a surprise, LC Bird (Chesterfield, VA) class of 2016 athlete Jalen Elliott announced last week that he was verbally committing to Notre Dame. Elliott, whose parents attended Virginia Tech, was long considered a lean to the Hokies.
Given the 6’1″, 185-pound rising senior’s connections to Virginia Tech, this recruitment may not be over just yet. For now, though, Notre Dame received a versatile athlete with the potential to play cornerback, safety or wide receiver in college.
– Cheyton Pine‘s commitment to Pittsburgh came as a slight surprise as well, given that Virginia Tech and Notre Dame appeared to be the frontrunners as of a few weeks ago. The Lafayette (Williamsburg, VA) rising senior linebacker/defensive end has decided to go with Pitt, a school he visited just over two weeks ago.
– New Jersey rising senior defensive end Quayshon Alexander, a prospect who visited Virginia Tech this spring, committed to Nebraska following a visit to Lincoln.