The majority of Virginia Tech’s recruits were in playoff action this past week. Who is still making a postseason run? Here is a recap…
– Adonis Alexander, S, Independence (Charlotte, N.C.)
Independence (12-0) shutout Olympic, 35-0, in the first round of the 4AA West playoffs. The defense has recorded seven shutouts so far in the 2014 season, including Olympic twice. Independence, the no. 2 seed in the East/West bracket, will now host Hough in the second round this week. Hough gave the Patriots a game in the regular season, losing 27-17.
– Jahque Alleyne, DB, Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach, VA)
Ocean Lakes dominated Bethel, 42-0, in the first round of the 6A South, Conferences 1 & 2 Playoffs. The undefeated Dolphins (11-0) host Kecoughtan next week.
Alleyne, a defensive back recruit of Tech’s, finished the regular season with 20 catches for 450 yards and six touchdowns. Defensively he had one interception and one punt block.
– Mike Arnold, OL, Winter Haven (FL)
Winter Haven blew away Ida Baker, 55-15, in the 6A Regional Quarterfinals. The Blue Devils advance to face South Fort Myers on Friday, November 21.
– Logan Byrd, QB, Class of 2016, Veterans (GA)
Veterans won its final two regular season games to finish the regular season at 3-8, but the Warhawks lost last week to Cairo in the opening round of the Class AAAA playoffs.
– Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Dan River (Ringgold, VA)
Edmunds looked to be leading Dan River to a first round playoff win over Buckingham before suffering a collarbone injury that put him on the sideline for the second half. Buckingham went on to win the Group 2A West matchup over the Wildcats (7-4), 50-21.
Tremaine rushed seven times for 132 yards and three touchdowns (47, 55, 2) in the first half, spurring Dan River on to a 21-14 halftime lead.
– Coleman Fox, RB/ATH, Salem (VA)
Fox had 14 carries for 258 yards and three touchdowns as the Spartans (11-0) defeated Charlottesville, 52-13, in the first round of the Group 4A West playoffs. Salem hosts Woodgrove in the second round this week.
– Darius Fullwood, DE, Good Counsel (Olney, MD)
Good Counsel dispatched of Bishop McNamara, 58-18, in the WCAC postseason tournament semifinals. The Falcons (10-1), who went undefeated in the WCAC in the regular season, will now face rival DeMatha Catholic for the WCAC tournament championship.
– DuWayne Johnson, CB, H.D. Woodson (Washington, D.C.)
H.D. Woodson (9-2) defeated Anacostia, 14-6, to advance to the Turkey Bowl Championship, where it will meet Ballou on Thanksgiving Day. The Warriors captured last year’s Turkey Bowl title.
– Fredrick Johnson, OL, Royal Palm Beach (FL)
Following a 9-1 regular season, Royal Palm Beach (FL) downed Fort Lauderdale in a 7A Regional Quarterfinal contest. Royal Palm Beach faces Atlantic next week.
– Harry Lewis, DL, Phoebus (Hampton, VA)
Phoebus had a battle on its hands in the 4A South opener against Nansemond River. The Phantoms (8-3) escaped with a 14-13 win and will face Monacan this Friday night in the second round.
– Carson Lydon, LB, East Lake (Tarpon Springs, FL)
East Lake (11-0) defeated Palmetto, 24-3, in the 7A Regional Quarterfinals and will meet Braden River this week. A Carson Lydon punt block set up one touchdown in the 21-point win.
Lydon discussed his knack for blocking punts in this “Week In Review” earlier this fall.
– Deshawn McClease, RB, Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA)
McClease rushed for 144 yards and two touchdowns as Oscar Smith blitzed Woodside, 52-7, in the first round of the Group 6A South Region Conferences 1 & 2 playoffs. The Tigers (10-1) host Cox this week in second round action.
– DAndre Plantin, OL, Norcross (GA)
Plantin’s high school career came to an end last week, when Norcross fell to Archer in the first round of the Class AAAAAA playoffs. Norcross went 7-4 this year.
– Mook Reynolds, CB, Northern Guilford (Greensboro, N.C.)
No. 7 seed Northern Guilford defeated Northwood in the first round of the 3AA East Playoffs. The Nighthawks (11-1) take on no. 2 seed Fike next.
The following recruits have completed their senior season’s…
– Austin Clark, OL, Rockbridge County (Lexington, VA), 0-10
With his high school career over, Clark now looks ahead to beginning his college career at Virginia Tech in January of 2015.
– Chris Cunningham, TE, Atlantic Coast (Jacksonville, FL), 7-3 record in 2014
Atlantic Coast finished the 2014 season with four straight wins but fell short of making the playoffs. Cunningham was credited with 14 catches for 241 yards and four touchdowns in his final high school season.
– Damien Dozier, LB/DE, Knightdale (Raleigh, N.C.), 3-8
– Trevon Hill, DE, Virginia Beach (VA)
– Conner ODonnell, WR, Class of 2016, Concord First Assembly (Concord, N.C.), 2-9
ODonnell, named one of his team’s most valuable players on MaxPreps, had 76 receptions for 1,686 yards and 10 touchdowns his junior season.
– Eric Whitehead, DT, Arsenal Tech (Indianapolis, IN), 4-4
Whitehead’s senior season highlights are below…