Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What's the purpose of a logo on a helmet?

Is it important to have a good looking uniform and helmet design? What should your team's football helmet reflect to fans and opponents? Should we care?

Branding- we've always been concerned about our VT logo design, use of the word Hokies, and how we look to the public and the appearance of our stadium, field, and university. Now this.

Our brand is suffering over the use of a cartoon character on our helmet. I can't believe that the day before a game with our rival that I'm posting this about our freaking uniform.

How can we put a HokieBird on our helmet? (At least use the Fierce looking, fighting gobbler instead, if you want to be cute)

I've edited my post because a friend of mine said I was overreacting. Maybe it's not that bad after all?
    Last edited by SmithfieldHokie; Fri Nov 23 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Yeah that Hokie Bird helmet was corny. Why not put the fighting gobbler on there?

Quote Originally Posted by SmithfieldHokie View Post
    Is it important to have a good looking uniform and helmet design? What should your team's football helmet reflect to fans and opponents? Should we care?

Branding- we've always been concerned about our VT logo design, use of the word Hokies, and how we look to the public and the appearance of our stadium, field, and university. Now this.

Our brand is suffering over the use of a cartoon character on our helmet. Give me a break. I have been quiet on the playcalling, lack of points by our offense, our poor special teams play, etc. I can no longer remain silent when you start messing with our branding, logo, etc. (Been in marketing for 28 years). This is just sad. I can't beleive that the day before a game with our rival that I'm posting this about our freaking uniform.

How can we put a HokieBird on our helmet? (At least use the Fierce looking, fighting gobbler instead, if you want to be cute)

Describe the current HokieBird- a cute looking, funny acting, lovable cartoon character- appeals to children and the average fan. Does it instill fear in our opponents? Does it instill pride and admiration by alumni and students? Is it a state of the art looking helmet that will appeal to recruits and potentially attract new fans of the program? I give up.

'07 national champions typed by ben's Avatar
    that cartoon has been used in an official university capacity since the 80s. why get upset about it being on the helmet? it was on everything else first.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

It just has to do with what kind of image you want to project for the football team. Could you imagine Alabama having this on their helmets?

Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    that cartoon has been used in an official university capacity since the 80s. why get upset about it being on the helmet? it was on everything else first.

as far as i know thats never been used on official university signage or documents.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

Perhaps, not but you can buy decals with that logo on it from the VT Bookstore so I'm pretty sure the University has it licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    as far as i know thats never been used on official university signage or documents.

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateSCHokie View Post
    Perhaps, not but you can buy decals with that logo on it from the VT Bookstore so I'm pretty sure the University has it licensed.

See? That doesn't look bad... I much prefer the square root of one logo, but the Gobbler looks good too. Hokie Bird? Not so much.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

That helmet is a concept created at The Helmet Project

The Helmet Project - Fakes

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    See? That doesn't look bad... I much prefer the square root of one logo, but the Gobbler looks good too. Hokie Bird? Not so much.
    The Hokie Bird is terrible. Its bad enough we wore it for the BC game, but wearing it for the UVa Game?

We have some real idiots in the marketing dept.

probably. you can also buy baby hokie bird stuff at walmart. the candy apple gobbler was on stuff given to me in my freshman dorm. to see it on the helmet is not that much of a stretch. they dont need to convince us at 30 and 50? (dont know how old you are) to come to tech. that kind of logo use is obviously aimed at younger people who may be making their school decision, not us folks who have already been through.