Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If baseball's not your thing, it's not your thing ...

Now I did go to Richmond to see VT play UR many years ago and again when we played VCU in the 1st round of the NCAA in soccer. There was a crowd of Hokies at Sports Backers Stadium that night. VCU had scored 3 goals before I got my tickets. But I'm sure VT didn't have a great BB following before the regional. Too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by 133743Hokie View Post
    Again, so much going on that 4k out of the whole area couldn't make it? That's my point. It doesn't take a big crowd to fill it up.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Blue Ridge Music Festival in Salem, Second weekend of Roanoke's Festival 2013, Wine Festival of Virginia Tech, VT Football Ladies Clinic, Weddings all over town every two hours in every chapel and church, high school graduations all over the Commonwealth. These plans are made weeks or months in advance and are not easy to change. I went to three of the four games but could not make Saturday afternoon due to niece's graduation.
    Roanoke's Festival is Memorial Day weekend only.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

All this banter about whether attendance was good or bad, plus excuses. Here's the actual announced figures. My orignal post was at lunch time and I didn't have time then to look it up and was hoping someone had read about it somewhere.
    cc/0k = 784
    VT/conn = 3566
    VT/cc = 1772
    ok/conn = 768
    VT/conn = 1203
    VT/ok = 1182
    total tournament = 9275
    total VT games = 7723
    Last edited by Hokie'79; Mon Jun 03 2013 at 08:17 PM.

It was Beamer's Ladies' Clinic all day Saturday. It was the NRV Hokie Club Chapter's wine Festival. It was the Ladies' Member-Guest golf tourney at the Blacksburg Country Club. That takes a lot of towns people split in a lot of directions . All these things were planned and could not be changed by the time the baseball hosting was announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by 133743Hokie View Post
    Considering all the other stuff going on? Really? Sorry, but hosting a small NCAA baseball regional should be able to stand on its own, regardless of other events going on in the area. If it can't then VT shouldn't look to host another if given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieHeartNSoul View Post
    It was Beamer's Ladies' Clinic all day Saturday. It was the NRV Hokie Club Chapter's wine Festival. It was the Ladies' Member-Guest golf tourney at the Blacksburg Country Club. That takes a lot of towns people split in a lot of directions . All these things were planned and could not be changed by the time the baseball hosting was announced.
    I can only imagine the jokes that would be made at Hoo expense if one of them had typed this.

When Clemson and/or USC-e host, there are weddings, festivals, graduations, etc. here too. Also at Clemson there is a huge lake just over the right field wall for fishing, waterskiing, etc for additional distractions, but they fill the place up. The big thing is they both have a long tradition of winning.
    No excuse for lousy attendance.

Also, they sell tickets and season passes to their games (and they are not cheap). Free tix to the regular season VT games gives the fan base the idea that baseball isn't worth much.

Maybe we should rethink our approach and promote baseball more.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy These! View Post
    Blue Ridge Music Festival in Salem, Second weekend of Roanoke's Festival 2013, Wine Festival of Virginia Tech, VT Football Ladies Clinic, Weddings all over town every two hours in every chapel and church, high school graduations all over the Commonwealth. These plans are made weeks or months in advance and are not easy to change. I went to three of the four games but could not make Saturday afternoon due to niece's graduation.

In Hooville, the women's clinic is held to recruit walkons.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieHeartNSoul View Post
    Maybe the VT athletic department and local alumni chapters should keep this weekend open every year...just in case...
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne