Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tanuman View Post
    Victory. Almost never fails. The NEB game in football was an exception.
    But it just always seem the breaks never go our way.

Got a link for ya:

POW!!! (fast forward to the 2:50 mark)
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

This team played some of it's worst ball when people started paying attention. What needs to happen is for the fan base during the regular season to increase and keep growing, with the school doing what they need to do to help make that happen.

I bet that Pete is out on the recruiting trail today.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat? View Post
    This team played some of it's worst ball when people started paying attention. What needs to happen is for the fan base during the regular season to increase and keep growing, with the school doing what they need to do to help make that happen.
    Last edited by squarerootofone; Mon Jun 03 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    Our baseball team exceeded expectations this year. How was this weekend a tragedy?

Bottom line is that our roster was very limited this year. We are 2 position players short of a very solid roster, and we could use a dominating pitcher as well. We don't have much speed at all and our fielding is just not top-notch.

Those are roster limitations, people. And they are due to letting our program drastically slip during the last 6-7 years of Hartman's career, while it became a super-popular ACC sport that became a mainstay in UNC and UVa's portfolios (FSU, Miami and GT were always very strong).

We competed very well and beat many teams that were flat out better than us on paper. Swept pool play in the ACC Tournament and got to the Champ game. Didn't hit for squat in that game but still kept it close by a great performance from a little-used pitcher. Earned an NCAA regional host seed for the first time EVER in school history. Had 2 All-ACC players and 1 All-American. Spanked our hated rival in a game that they dominate due to a $30 Million windfall more than a decade ago.

Other than the disappointment of not advancing to Super Regionals, which I personally did not favor us to do (and I would have bet money against if forced to make a bet), I don't know how anyone could be anything other than pleased with this year.
    Good post and I agree it was a great year for Tech baseball. Like Hughes said, Tech has undersized pitchers like Clark Labitan. I was the same size as him when I was 22 years old and I can honestly say that I could never throw a 90 mph fastball like him. Hughes also honestly stated, “We don’t get tall pitchers, honestly, because those are the pretty guys in the recruiting process,” Kudos to Hughes for finding players good enough to compete in the ACC. Like most sports we play, we aren't going to get the "pretty guys." IMHO, out talent isn't much better than UConn's. By the way, UConn has a good ball team and good coach. I was hoping that Tech would win the regional but I agreed with the "experts" that Oklahoma was most likely to win the regional based on their pitching and overall talent. I had hope because Tech had gone 3-1 against both UVa and FSU. Those 2 teams will be hosting super regionals this weekend.

As for the negativity, I can understand why so many Tech fans feel that way. Tech is one of the few major athletics programs not to claim a national championship in any team sport. I compare our fans to Clemson's, West Virginia's, Kansas State's, Pittsburgh's, and a few others who feel frustrated at getting so close but yet falling short at the end. I sometimes visit their message boards and it's almost like reading ours. One day, Tech will finally win a national championship in a team sport and it will be more appreciated and more savored than the schools who win them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by U2Hokie View Post
    C'mon KING - why take a shot at Chuck H? Just Uncool...Not his fault we were in the A10 - where we won the A10 and went to regionals in 99 and 2000. Not his fault we went to the BIG LEAST for baseball after that...2001-4 in the Big East killed our program. We got to the ACC late for baseball...had we got there in the 90's after the METRO we would be happy is pie now and our expectations and team would be different.
    That was no shot at Hartman. It was an acknowledgement of the realities of how the program slipped, along with a time frame at which it slipped that would help people to understand the timing of VT baseball headed downward while uva and unc baseball headed upward. I made no mention of the reason for the slip, which was due to many of the things you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by tanuman View Post
    Victory. Almost never fails. The NEB game in football was an exception.
    But it just always seem the breaks never go our way.
    Every fanbase in every sport except for one has the exact same emotions. The concept that we "always" lose when we should win is a sad personal opinion of people who don't understand how the world works.

In reality what "always" happens is what usually should happen. It's called "statistics."

No doubt it was a great year. I think the frustrations come from what might have been. Personally, I believe we could have won last night's game with just a couple of breaks...We were just "one block away." If that happens, then who knows what would have happened tonight. A Super Regional was probably unrealistic, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat? View Post
    I disagree. This team showed up super clutch from early May on. We were looking at an 8 seed and wondering if we'd even make the ACC tourney in April. Then two huge series sweeps got us a 6 seed. Then a 3-0 record in pool play (including a thrashing of our pool favorite and hated rival) put us in the ACC championship game. That also got us a NCAA regional in the 'Burg with a #13 overall national seed. Even though we lost the first game we hung tough through two elimination games at made it to the bracket final. We were one clutch hit/two fielding errors/three failed bunt attempts (take your pick) from taking it to Monday.

I can't see how anyone in their right mind classifies those facts as "playing it's worst ball when people started paying attention." Apparently you weren't aware of our series losses to GT and Miami in March and our 0-6 record vs. UNC/NCSU in early April?

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    Every fanbase in every sport except for one has the exact same emotions. The concept that we "always" lose when we should win is a sad personal opinion of people who don't understand how the world works.

In reality what "always" happens is what usually should happen. It's called "statistics."
    Its like people don't understand the other teams are trying too, often with more resources and tradition behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    No doubt it was a great year. I think the frustrations come from what might have been. Personally, I believe we could have won last night's game with just a couple of breaks...We were just "one block away." If that happens, then who knows what would have happened tonight. A Super Regional was probably unrealistic, but it doesn't hurt to dream.
    It doesn't hurt to dream, but when you wake up and you're not next to Jennifer Lawrence, do you start to bitch and complain to your wife (who by the way just gave you a close encounter of the first kind the night before)?

unshun