Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    I'm as disappointed as any one but baseball is no different than any other sport when you have teams of equal talent. The team that makes the most mistakes usually loses.
    That being said this has been a fun year to keep up with the baseball team. We play in a very tough conference. Hopefully this won't be our only chance to host a regional and we will be able to improve in the future.

    Go Hokies

  2. #12
    Chris Coleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18, 2001
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    36,685
    Quote Originally Posted by rtp_hokie67 View Post
    Sorry I have to say this because I am so proud of this team for showing their game and going this far, most teams that they have played and beaten were much better on paper. Coach deserve much credit for their success, but the most critical comment tonight, Hughes on TV says Horan decided to steal 3rd on his own with no outs, not his fault. Coach that play was not Horan's fault, it was your fault for not teaching these players what is smart aggressive baseball and what is a stupid non percentage play. I know it is your fault because our base running has been awful all year by several players, time and again. Also get a pitching coach who can tell when a pitcher has lost it, you don't seem to have a clue. I am so proud of the effort each one of VT starting pitchers gave, other coaches see the problem before it erupts into a big inning. You have to stick with pitchers too long because you haven't develop relief pitchers to come in and face one or two batters. Our relievers and closers come in for too many pitches and aren't effectively available again for the series. By the way pitching is developed during the non conferece games and early in the season. I know there are other pitchers who could of have given that spot releif, but were never given the opportunity to develop their skills as they develop as college pitchers. Get a coach who can.
    As far as pitching goes, we don't have the depth in the bullpen that most other high level programs have.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    October 08, 1999
    Posts
    1,471
    That's true, But Improvise: Our starters did a great job this year, but you develop relief righties and lefties that you ask to give you spot relief in tight situations, throw strikes and get 1 or 2 batters out. Bring in relief pitchers to give up a couple of innings. But you don't use up your closers Joyce and Labitan with too many innings in their one appearance and use up there avaiability. Coach Hughes idea is get to the 7th inning and bring in Joyce or Labitan for 3 innings. That works for 2 games, we won those but now what do you do, you leave Campbell in too long and bring in Joyce who could now only give you 1 good inning. If we won tonight who would have pitched, Keselica? When is the last time he pitched. When you have limited quality pitching you have to go with your starters, and when they are are in trouble bring in Joyce for 1 inning to get out of trouble, then use one of your other relief pitcher or pitchers til you can get to Labitan for 1 inning. You can repeat this process night after night in a short series. It the coaches job to get some innings for all his spot pitchers and relief pitchers during the week so they are available and able to do the job when needed for the weekend conference games, not to develop a 4th or 5th starter for the week day games. As a point of reference Coach Hughes used up Joyce and Labitan in the NC State 14 inning first game and did not have any effective relief pitching for the rest of the series, which we lost all 3 games.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    January 14, 2000
    Location
    Rockville VA
    Posts
    25,081
    Quote Originally Posted by rtp_hokie67 View Post
    Sorry I have to say this because I am so proud of this team for showing their game and going this far, most teams that they have played and beaten were much better on paper. Coach deserve much credit for their success, but the most critical comment tonight, Hughes on TV says Horan decided to steal 3rd on his own with no outs, not his fault. Coach that play was not Horan's fault, it was your fault for not teaching these players what is smart aggressive baseball and what is a stupid non percentage play. I know it is your fault because our base running has been awful all year by several players, time and again. Also get a pitching coach who can tell when a pitcher has lost it, you don't seem to have a clue. I am so proud of the effort each one of VT starting pitchers gave, other coaches see the problem before it erupts into a big inning. You have to stick with pitchers too long because you haven't develop relief pitchers to come in and face one or two batters. Our relievers and closers come in for too many pitches and aren't effectively available again for the series. By the way pitching is developed during the non conferece games and early in the season. I know there are other pitchers who could of have given that spot releif, but were never given the opportunity to develop their skills as they develop as college pitchers. Get a coach who can.
    Brilliant...fire the coach who just took us to the ACC championship game and hosting our first regional in school history.

  5. #15
    Edgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    49,228
    Quote Originally Posted by WestEndHokie39 View Post
    Brilliant...fire the coach who just took us to the ACC championship game and hosting our first regional in school history.
    Tough crowd!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

  6. #16
    Senior Member vthokiedsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 07, 2012
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by bburgnative View Post
    Hokies have absolutely beaten themselves tonight. Too many knucklehead errors.
    yep. you can't commit that many fielding and base running mistakes and expect to win against a team like OU (or any team for that matter). the blame falls in a lot of different places. the coach was probably trying to make too much happen on the bases while the players appeared to go rogue at times. the fielding was rocky and we left way too many unscored runs on the bases. it is what it is. personally, i feel that the pressure of certain moments was too much for us to handle. it happens. unfortunately, we probably won't have enough of this team returning to use those mistakes as teachable moments and develop a more mature team next year.

    having said all of that. it was a great season. best of luck to the kids in the upcoming draft.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

  7. #17
    Chris Coleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18, 2001
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    36,685
    Quote Originally Posted by rtp_hokie67 View Post
    That's true, But Improvise: Our starters did a great job this year, but you develop relief righties and lefties that you ask to give you spot relief in tight situations, throw strikes and get 1 or 2 batters out. Bring in relief pitchers to give up a couple of innings. But you don't use up your closers Joyce and Labitan with too many innings in their one appearance and use up there avaiability. Coach Hughes idea is get to the 7th inning and bring in Joyce or Labitan for 3 innings. That works for 2 games, we won those but now what do you do, you leave Campbell in too long and bring in Joyce who could now only give you 1 good inning. If we won tonight who would have pitched, Keselica? When is the last time he pitched. When you have limited quality pitching you have to go with your starters, and when they are are in trouble bring in Joyce for 1 inning to get out of trouble, then use one of your other relief pitcher or pitchers til you can get to Labitan for 1 inning. You can repeat this process night after night in a short series. It the coaches job to get some innings for all his spot pitchers and relief pitchers during the week so they are available and able to do the job when needed for the weekend conference games, not to develop a 4th or 5th starter for the week day games. As a point of reference Coach Hughes used up Joyce and Labitan in the NC State 14 inning first game and did not have any effective relief pitching for the rest of the series, which we lost all 3 games.
    Injuries. O'Keefe was hurt, and I don't think Hayden was cleared to pitch either.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coleman View Post
    Injuries. O'Keefe was hurt, and I don't think Hayden was cleared to pitch either.
    Tanner McIntyre was by FAR the most costly injury...he was 4-0 and likely our #2 or #3 starter...or at worst our long relief man

  9. #19

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Are you serious with this stuff?
    Meant for me or rtp? I'm semi-serious, and Im also a Cubs fan, so there you go...I guess I love the lovable underdogs who try hard and raise hopes but just never quite make it to the very top

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    Meant for me or rtp? I'm semi-serious, and Im also a Cubs fan, so there you go...I guess I love the lovable underdogs who try hard and raise hopes but just never quite make it to the very top
    It was meant for rtp. I can only surmise that he was either drunk or has a relative who hoped to play but did not or some other connection that led to disappointment. What he says is so ridiculous I cannot believe anyone actually responded (including me).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •