Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it me, or are these fundamentals really tough to watch?

I played semi-pro ball and I'm just really amazed at all the little mental and physical mistakes that get made in the college game, especially VT. Both offensively and defensively. Bad base-running, bad throwing decisions, pitching 0-2 counts right over the plate, questionable hit-run calls, poorly executed run-down plays, poor sliding, poor choice of swinging at certain pitches, etc. A lot of these mental mistakes really are inexcusable and feed into lack of focus physical errors.

It really makes it challenging for me to watch because the art of "small ball" is missing. That makes it really hard to win consistently.

Has it been like this all year wrong or is it nerves / bad timing?
    Thoughts?

Case in point Zagunis swinging at a ball and grounding out with the count 2-1 after a walk and the pitcher having control problems. Terrible.

it seems like we make a lot of decision based errors - I didn't play any high level ball tho- just a fan

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisvtguy View Post
    I played semi-pro ball and I'm just really amazed at all the little mental and physical mistakes that get made in the college game, especially VT. Both offensively and defensively. Bad base-running, bad throwing decisions, pitching 0-2 counts right over the plate, questionable hit-run calls, poorly executed run-down plays, poor sliding, poor choice of swinging at certain pitches, etc. A lot of these mental mistakes really are inexcusable and feed into lack of focus physical errors.

It really makes it challenging for me to watch because the art of "small ball" is missing. That makes it really hard to win consistently.

Thoughts?
    If you played at that level, I should be asking you- Is it a function of 2nd high-pressure game in 6 hours?
    Go Hokies!

Lot's of mistakes in college baseball; like why didn't he slide?

unfortunately a lot more college games are lost than won; but it's frustrating.

Thoughts?

I only started watching the college games during VT's late run in the ACC tourney this year. Almost every game has multiple major lapses where I'm thinking it must be a fluke, but then I see it repeated over and over each game.

For perspective, the D1 guys I played with in the 90's appear to be more "complete players". Not necessarily better athletes of course, but much better at fundamentals and understanding the game. So what gives? Is it college ball in general,... or is it VT... or is it just VT the past 3-4 games I've watched?

I only started watching the college games during VT's late run in the ACC tourney this year. Almost every game has multiple major lapses where I'm thinking it must be a fluke, but then I see it repeated over and over each game.

For perspective, the D1 guys I played with in the 90's appear to be more "complete players". Not necessarily better athletes of course, but much better at fundamentals and understanding the game. So what gives? Is it college ball in general,... or is it VT... or is it just VT the past 3-4 games I've watched?
    maybe you misunderstood my question.
    How much do you think the "long day" has an impact on focus?
    Go Hokies!

It seems that the two biggest glaring "flaws" of this team has been fielding and base-running all year long. They are near the bottom or at the bottom of the ACC in errors I believe (and those are just the physical errors).
    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." Ronald Reagan

Considering I see the same mistakes on short days, I'd think little

Feels like a trip to the dentist...ouch!

Thoughts?
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne