Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11

    Join Date
    July 27, 2007
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by ElbertoHokie View Post
    Do you live within an hour of blacksburg? If you do, I can understand this stance. But for 80% of the alumni, that's not the case. And traveling to Bburg is a big commitment. I think it's reasonable for the fan base to want to know if they'll have a ticket to the game or not.
    Yes, my zip code is 24060, so I can give you a very different outlook, living here. First off, the anticipation of demand is way over stated. The town of Blacksburg is peaceful, right now. This funny thing happened a couple of weeks ago - it is called graduation, and the end of the semester.

    Students are not coming back for a baseball regional. Some don't know we even play baseball. They are the attendance of baseball games. It isn't that many locals.

    Also, you have to factor in the weather. Do you want to buy tickets, in advance (most of which will be general admission, anyway), for something that might be pushed off a day, or two?

    Not to mention, if Tech goes 0-2, on Friday, and Saturday (early), and you live in NOVA, and get to pay for a hotel for Saturday night you didn't want to? Because you will, the two night minimums that get kicked in for football will be in force this weekend.

    I wasn't going to throw Weaver and Sandy Smith under the bus on this, but somebody alludes to it in this same thread - yeah, they could have been more on top of it, but one has to remember, we do not sell tickets to baseball games. We don't have an existing online system for it, and I can only blame Pete Hughes. He got his guys to peak at exactly the perfect time. It is as simple as that!

    Most of the reserved seating will be set aside for player tickets - people are getting all in a wad over this, for no reason.
    Last edited by just2selltickets; Tue May 28 2013 at 01:09 PM.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by nubinile View Post
    If it takes you 5 hours to get to NOVA from the 'Burg, then you need to ride with me.
    Depends on western NoVa or eastern...& depends on time of day

  3. #13

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by just2selltickets View Post
    Yes, my zip code is 24060, so I can give you a very different outlook, living here. First off, the anticipation of demand is way over stated. The town of Blacksburg is peaceful, right now. This funny thing happened a couple of weeks ago - it is called graduation, and the end of the semester.

    Students are not coming back for a baseball regional. Some don't know we even play baseball. They are the attendance of baseball games. It isn't that many locals.

    Also, you have to factor in the weather. Do you want to buy tickets, in advance (most of which will be general admission, anyway), for something that might be pushed off a day, or two?

    Not to mention, if Tech goes 0-2, on Friday, and Saturday (early), and you live in NOVA, and get to pay for a hotel for Saturday night you didn't want to? Because you will, the two night minimums that get kicked in for football will be in force this weekend.

    I wasn't going to throw Weaver and Sandy Smith under the bus on this, but somebody alludes to it in this same thread - yeah, they could have been more on top of it, but one has to remember, we do not sell tickets to baseball games. We don't have an existing online system for it, and I can only blame Pete Hughes. He got his guys to peak at exactly the perfect time. It is as simple as that!

    Most of the reserved seating will be set aside for player tickets - people are getting all in a wad over this, for no reason.
    The demand will be VERY high...students don't matter in this case, it's size of venue vs history

  4. #14
    nubinile's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20, 2008
    Posts
    1,408
    Just busting Elberto's chops. But for the record, It takes me anywhere from 4:15 to 4:30 from Alexandria, via the 66 -> 81S way. On Friday, with a noon departure, traffic shouldn't be a problem.

    Dying words of any DMV commuter!
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    Depends on western NoVa or eastern...& depends on time of day
    As hard as a liquid sword

  5. #15
    Brown Hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2001
    Location
    A-town, VA
    Posts
    2,068
    I looked at 4 other regional host and all offer an "all-session" option for sale. Then they were also selling individual tickets ONLINE.

    You cant expect people to drive for hours, not knowing if you have a ticket or not. In another post, you mention that the demand is overstated... maybe... we will see.

    But you are creating a self fulfilling prophecy by making it difficult to plan. Who in their right mind would drive over an hour if they arent assured a ticket?

    Quote Originally Posted by just2selltickets View Post
    Let me pose this question to you. Are you going to buy them for every game?

    I do agree, we could be more prepared, and have a better setup, but after Friday's game, unless someone is going to want to (and that is unlikely) attend EVERY game, selling them in advance is meaningless.

    After Friday, you do not know who plays when. These tickets are not "session" tickets, they are game tickets, so would you buy one for the Saturday first game, not even knowing who was playing? No.

    This is just like it used to be in the old days - buy at the gate. There isn't an app for your phone to let you know who plays when, to make it convenient for you to plan your schedule.
    Follow me on Twitter: @thebrownhound

  6. #16

    Join Date
    March 26, 2009
    Posts
    51
    Hey, we need to consider the positives. At least there now IS a Baseball Forum. That is progress from two years ago!!

  7. #17
    Melbourne Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 01, 2005
    Location
    In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Posts
    43,158
    Quote Originally Posted by ElbertoHokie View Post
    Baseball Regional Tickets

    Why is VT Athletics not offering online ticket sales?

    The majority of your alumni base is 3 hours away, at least. That's an awfully long drive to make without the certainty of knowing that you'll be able to see the games.

    I'm more than certain that you'd sell out the game in a few hours if you did sell the tickets online. I hate comparing us to UVA, but they're much closer to their urban alumni bases and they ARE selling the tickets online. I just don't understand why this is so difficult and/or had not been anticipated as a possibility.

    For a technical university that prides itself for being on the cutting edge, we're rocking out to the 1980's with this move.

    I appreciate all the hard work that the ticket office and athletic department do, but this move(or lack of one) puzzles me to no end.

    (Name Redacted)
    Mining Engineering '07
    Did you leave out the fact you are in Vancouver and not attending so it really makes no difference for you?

  8. #18

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by just2selltickets View Post
    Yes, my zip code is 24060, so I can give you a very different outlook, living here. First off, the anticipation of demand is way over stated. The town of Blacksburg is peaceful, right now. This funny thing happened a couple of weeks ago - it is called graduation, and the end of the semester.

    Students are not coming back for a baseball regional. Some don't know we even play baseball. They are the attendance of baseball games. It isn't that many locals.

    Also, you have to factor in the weather. Do you want to buy tickets, in advance (most of which will be general admission, anyway), for something that might be pushed off a day, or two?

    Not to mention, if Tech goes 0-2, on Friday, and Saturday (early), and you live in NOVA, and get to pay for a hotel for Saturday night you didn't want to? Because you will, the two night minimums that get kicked in for football will be in force this weekend.

    I wasn't going to throw Weaver and Sandy Smith under the bus on this, but somebody alludes to it in this same thread - yeah, they could have been more on top of it, but one has to remember, we do not sell tickets to baseball games. We don't have an existing online system for it, and I can only blame Pete Hughes. He got his guys to peak at exactly the perfect time. It is as simple as that!

    Most of the reserved seating will be set aside for player tickets - people are getting all in a wad over this, for no reason.
    You sure you don't work for VTTO with that outlook? THE reason to have online and phone ordering is BECAUSE the students are out and so you can make sure that those who want to travel can be accommodated. You sound like you want to make excuses for them. Bottom line is if we did t have a plan in place, we shouldn't have put in a bid to host at English in the first place. Sounds to me like Sandy Smith may be the type who tells you what you want to hear: "Sandy, are we set up to sell tickets if we host"....answer: "Sure, we'll get it done" without believing that it will happen...and then it does. Where's that plan Sandy??

  9. #19
    Melbourne Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 01, 2005
    Location
    In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Posts
    43,158
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    You sure you don't work for VTTO with that outlook? THE reason to have online and phone ordering is BECAUSE the students are out and so you can make sure that those who want to travel can be accommodated. You sound like you want to make excuses for them. Bottom line is if we did t have a plan in place, we shouldn't have put in a bid to host at English in the first place. Sounds to me like Sandy Smith may be the type who tells you what you want to hear: "Sandy, are we set up to sell tickets if we host"....answer: "Sure, we'll get it done" without believing that it will happen...and then it does. Where's that plan Sandy??
    Do teams actually "bid" on hosting? I don't think so.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    February 04, 2004
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hound View Post
    I looked at 4 other regional host and all offer an "all-session" option for sale. Then they were also selling individual tickets ONLINE.

    You cant expect people to drive for hours, not knowing if you have a ticket or not. In another post, you mention that the demand is overstated... maybe... we will see.

    But you are creating a self fulfilling prophecy by making it difficult to plan. Who in their right mind would drive over an hour if they arent assured a ticket?
    Regardless of how up in the arms the "fan base" is it is a reasonable question. If the tickets are normally free and no need for any infrastructure to support the sale of tickets has ever existed then the current situation shouldn't be surprising. Hopefully they can offer a mechanism for phone orders at a minimum to fulfill whatever demand exists. I imagine that there are going to be plenty of tickets available for anyone that wants to attend because I can't see Oklahoma or UConn bringing many people to Blacksburg. While Coastal Carolina is only 5 hours away, it's a pretty small school.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •