Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21

    Join Date
    September 05, 2005
    Location
    Christiansburg, VA
    Posts
    13,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    Wow. 5 ACC teams hosting.
    Andrew Aligreta (spelling?) was discussing this before the game on Friday. The competition for us hosting was going to be IN conference, and not other comparable teams across the nation. The ACC has had 5 hosts in 2 of the past 3 seasons, so it wasn't unheard of. Having 6 hosts was going to be really hard. Tough luck for Clemson.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    July 27, 2007
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    Andrew Aligreta (spelling?) was discussing this before the game on Friday. The competition for us hosting was going to be IN conference, and not other comparable teams across the nation. The ACC has had 5 hosts in 2 of the past 3 seasons, so it wasn't unheard of. Having 6 hosts was going to be really hard. Tough luck for Clemson.
    Exactly. There are 3 conferences in baseball - ACC, SEC, PAC 12.

    Texas gets something of a nod for the Big XII, but it isn't all that, ever year, in terms of conference power.

    The number of host spots will bounce around a bit, but the SEC has put 9 teams in before (not hosting, just in), one that didn't even make its own conference tournament, so it is just indicative of baseball being a warm climate sport, and there are a certain group of schools that benefit, from a recruiting and scheduling aspect.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    1,479
    I also did not think our facility measured up --Unless VT is putting in a lot of extra bleechers -- I can't see how we got it..... I've seen people sitting on grass embankments.....but certainly, I can't imagine charging admission to make people set on hill. Certainly,its time for VT to build a facility thats comparable to any other on campus facility in the ACC --- instead of throwing all to football and freebie luxury complementary extended pre-bowl cruise travel accomodations to major donors ,connected friends of the university ,gov't & legislative officials & their family & friends ----it happens.

    Top flight facilities for olympic sports is how UNC & UVA have demonstrated their commitment & landed the top olympic sports recruits -----whereas our focus has been primarily directed towards the two major sports.....OUR FIElDHOUSE (& supposedly high altitude) has helped lure the great track individuals that have won us some OLYMPIC acclaim particularly with foreign SPORTS ATHLETEs. Its time we do that at home. I still wish Baseball was nested between cassell & lane with the student body hill which routinely had a few thousand sunbathing students on the hill.......instead using if for football practice field.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    I also did not think our facility measured up --Unless VT is putting in a lot of extra bleechers -- I can't see how we got it..... I've seen people sitting on grass embankments.....but certainly, I can't imagine charging admission to make people set on hill. Certainly,its time for VT to build a facility thats comparable to any other on campus facility in the ACC --- instead of throwing all to football and freebie luxury complementary extended pre-bowl cruise travel accomodations to major donors ,connected friends of the university ,gov't & legislative officials & their family & friends ----it happens.

    Top flight facilities for olympic sports is how UNC & UVA have demonstrated their commitment & landed the top olympic sports recruits -----whereas our focus has been primarily directed towards the two major sports.....OUR FIElDHOUSE (& supposedly high altitude) has helped lure the great track individuals that have won us some OLYMPIC acclaim particularly with foreign SPORTS ATHLETEs. Its time we do that at home. I still wish Baseball was nested between cassell & lane with the student body hill which routinely had a few thousand sunbathing students on the hill.......instead using if for football practice field.
    There are pics somewhere of the Yankee exhibition game...will look similar to that with 5,000-6,000 capacity

  5. #25

    Join Date
    November 21, 2008
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by just2selltickets View Post
    Exactly. There are 3 conferences in baseball - ACC, SEC, PAC 12.

    Texas gets something of a nod for the Big XII, but it isn't all that, ever year, in terms of conference power.

    The number of host spots will bounce around a bit, but the SEC has put 9 teams in before (not hosting, just in), one that didn't even make its own conference tournament, so it is just indicative of baseball being a warm climate sport, and there are a certain group of schools that benefit, from a recruiting and scheduling aspect.
    Tell you what, the Big 12 is not what it used to be in baseball. No excuse for Texas being that poor.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    November 21, 2008
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyHokie21 View Post
    Sure the fans will make great showing. The Championship game was impressive. I'm trying to plan my trip down from PA for this weekend.
    Championship Game record. We did our part.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    March 19, 2005
    Posts
    900
    DNA...I do want to point out that we visited the uva softball park a month or two ago and it is a DUMP. So, no, they are not plowing piles of cash into all "olympic sports". I was very, very surprised. The crappy stands hold a couple hundred and the press box is a temporary plastic box, the size of a dumpster.

    Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    I also did not think our facility measured up --Unless VT is putting in a lot of extra bleechers -- I can't see how we got it..... I've seen people sitting on grass embankments.....but certainly, I can't imagine charging admission to make people set on hill. Certainly,its time for VT to build a facility thats comparable to any other on campus facility in the ACC --- instead of throwing all to football and freebie luxury complementary extended pre-bowl cruise travel accomodations to major donors ,connected friends of the university ,gov't & legislative officials & their family & friends ----it happens.

    Top flight facilities for olympic sports is how UNC & UVA have demonstrated their commitment & landed the top olympic sports recruits -----whereas our focus has been primarily directed towards the two major sports.....OUR FIElDHOUSE (& supposedly high altitude) has helped lure the great track individuals that have won us some OLYMPIC acclaim particularly with foreign SPORTS ATHLETEs. Its time we do that at home. I still wish Baseball was nested between cassell & lane with the student body hill which routinely had a few thousand sunbathing students on the hill.......instead using if for football practice field.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    November 04, 2008
    Posts
    6,238
    Quote Originally Posted by dna-vt View Post
    I also did not think our facility measured up --Unless VT is putting in a lot of extra bleechers -- I can't see how we got it..... I've seen people sitting on grass embankments.....but certainly, I can't imagine charging admission to make people set on hill. Certainly,its time for VT to build a facility thats comparable to any other on campus facility in the ACC --- instead of throwing all to football and freebie luxury complementary extended pre-bowl cruise travel accomodations to major donors ,connected friends of the university ,gov't & legislative officials & their family & friends ----it happens.

    Top flight facilities for olympic sports is how UNC & UVA have demonstrated their commitment & landed the top olympic sports recruits -----whereas our focus has been primarily directed towards the two major sports.....OUR FIElDHOUSE (& supposedly high altitude) has helped lure the great track individuals that have won us some OLYMPIC acclaim particularly with foreign SPORTS ATHLETEs. Its time we do that at home. I still wish Baseball was nested between cassell & lane with the student body hill which routinely had a few thousand sunbathing students on the hill.......instead using if for football practice field.
    I'd pay extra to sit on the hill

  9. #29

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberobb99 View Post
    Awesome News! I was afraid we'd choked off that chance. I hope our guys take full advantage of the opportunity!
    Losing to a 52-8 team is definitely NOT choking...we were one millisecond away from a Pinder grand slam on that foul ball...and we bobbled one ball, and made a couple bad throws. We did enough going 3-0 to win our pool to say we earned this host site!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •