Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tech@Marist

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    You and hokiepro seem to be missing the point. It's a two game series. Mantiply has been the Friday starter lately, so he lost a day in his usual schedule so limiting his innings to keep him fresh for wake is important esp considering he had dead arm earlier in the year. Burke is the Saturday guy so to keep him on schedule, they split his innings with mantiply. Coming out of the pen isn't ideal but the goal is to reduce innings. Markey is the Sunday guy so he is ok. If Burke splits pitches on Sunday he loses a day of rest.

What Hughes did yesterday makes perfect sense and isnt uncommon. Mantiply didnt exhaust his arm before short rest and Burke stayed on schedule while saving his arm too.
    Maybe so...probably has more to do with the Wake series starting on Thursday instead of Friday...still think 4 innings apiece by Mantiply and Burke would've been fine, Joyce just pitching 1 inning in the 4th seemed really odd though

You and hokiepro seem to be missing the point. It's a two game series. Mantiply has been the Friday starter lately, so he lost a day in his usual schedule so limiting his innings to keep him fresh for wake is important esp considering he had dead arm earlier in the year. Burke is the Saturday guy so to keep him on schedule, they split his innings with mantiply. Coming out of the pen isn't ideal but the goal is to reduce innings. Markey is the Sunday guy so he is ok. If Burke splits pitches on Sunday he loses a day of rest.

What Hughes did yesterday makes perfect sense and isnt uncommon. Mantiply didnt exhaust his arm before short rest and Burke stayed on schedule while saving his arm too.
    I know it's a two game series. I also know they start with Wake on Thursday. I thought Mantiply could go a little longer, but your points are well taken. I concede that it was best to limit Mantiply as much as possible while still giving him a little work.

Mantiply was not the focus of my original consternation (although later I did indicate I would have let him go longer). I would not have had Burke come in in the middle. Let him pitch a few Sunday. Then bring in Markey, who has come in like that previously. I think Burke was put in an unfamilar position, and he did not respond that well initially (yes an error extended an inning but he gave up 8 hits or something in two innings). Hopefully, he shrugs it off going forward.

In the end, Tech won, and I hope they win 4 more regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasvt View Post
    I know it's a two game series. I also know they start with Wake on Thursday. I thought Mantiply could go a little longer, but your points are well taken. I concede that it was best to limit Mantiply as much as possible while still giving him a little work.

Mantiply was not the focus of my original consternation (although later I did indicate I would have let him go longer). I would not have had Burke come in in the middle. Let him pitch a few Sunday. Then bring in Markey, who has come in like that previously. I think Burke was put in an unfamilar position, and he did not respond that well initially (yes an error extended an inning but he gave up 8 hits or something in two innings). Hopefully, he shrugs it off going forward.

In the end, Tech won, and I hope they win 4 more regular season games.
    ditto the 4 more regular season wins. finish hot.

agreed that markey has a little more experience coming out of the pen. i think that was the second time this year for burke, and neither has gone over well. despite it being less than ideal, i like the idea of having one pitcher on short rest instead of two. it's kind of unfortunate that we had a two game series before a thursday series. it shook things up a bit.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

it's kind of unfortunate that we had a two game series before a thursday series. it shook things up a bit.
    I was thinking about that also. I have to believe Tech made that happen. Why not start on Friday? Seems like it would have made everything easier (from a baseball perspective). Maybe it had something to do with exams.