The Hokies received their first piece of bad news of the preseason on Monday. An MRI revealed that backup left tackle Nick Acree tore the ACL in his left knee and will miss the remainder of the season. He also suffered a knee sprain and a meniscus tear.
Acree will undergo surgery soon, and he’ll be out of action eight months. That keeps him out of spring practice as well. This is the second time Acree has suffered a torn ACL. He missed his senior season at Fork Union because of the same injury. He was drawing praise from the coaching staff for his development in the early stages of August.
Other injury notes…
- Starting linebacker Tariq Edwards had a screw removed from his knee that was causing him pain. He’ll miss about a week of practice. Bud Foster said on last night’s Tech Talk Live that he doesn’t expect Edwards will be ready to play against Georgia Tech.
- David Wang sprained his ankle this past weekend, but the injury is not considered serious. He could get scrimmage work this Saturday.
- D.J. Coles has gotten more work in recently, and his knee seems to be improving.
- Jake Goins (r-Fr.) and Adam Taraschke (Fr.) are listed as injured on BeamerBall.com. That gets Augie Conte (Fr.) more work with the #3 offense.
- Cornerback Donaldven Manning (Fr.) and defensive tackle Justin Taylor (r-Fr.) are also listed as being injured. However, their injuries haven’t been disclosed, and they are not expected to be serious.