Tech Talk Live (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can see the show in person Bull & Bones Brewhaus & Grill in Blacksburg.
- The Hokies made a lot of shots against Georgia Tech. Players were very
unselfish in transition. It was good to see Erick Green bounce back, he played
well offensively and defensively.
- It was good to see Jeff Allen gobbling up rebounds like Pacman. The guys who
came off the bench didn’t score a lot, but they really played well. Jarell Eddie
played harder than he’s ever played. Ty Garland ran the offense well, and Manny
Atkins played through a sprained knee.
- Tech used the 3-2 zone for about 10 possessions on Sunday. They don’t have a
lot of guys in practice, so they like to tweak their defense a bit each week.
They had a lot of time to do that before Sunday’s game. It was very effective in
the first half, but not as much in the second half.
- The Hokies played 40 minutes of zone. Georgia Tech really drives the ball
hard, and the Hokies wanted to stay out of foul trouble.
- VT doesn’t practice fullcourt because of their lack of numbers, but they
continue to play good transition basketball.
- Tech’s body language is very good right now. That’s what Eddie Fogler said to
Greenberg on Sunday. They have a happy team, and a happy team generally plays
well. The bench is very engaged.
- Greenberg has only been ejected once in his career, and that was in the
last couple of minutes at Duke. He had no idea Hewitt had been
ejected until they broke the huddle and he saw Delaney go to the free throw
line. Greenberg never wants to see anybody get ejected.
- Tech is playing well, and they are sharing the ball well. However, it’s still
a make or miss game. Sometimes the shots fall, and sometimes they don’t. It’s
important to get out in transition and get some easy baskets.
- It was great to see Charlie Moir return to Cassell Coliseum on Sunday. He
deserved the ovation he got.
- Dorrian Finney-Smith will have as good or better a career as most of those
McDonald’s All-Americans. He didn’t make the game, but he’s just as good. He’s a
winning player, and he’s a great teammate.
- Jeff Allen is playing at a very high level right now. When you look back at
his career, you can’t help but marvel at the number of ways he affects the game.
He’s an alert defender, he finishes around the basket, and he’s having a great
season. He’s carrying himself well. Karl Hess, an ACC ref, told Greenberg after
the game that Allen has really grown up.
- Allen has great talent. He’s like a kid at Christmas who has like eight
different presents. He can play with them all. Now he’s finally putting it all
- The Maryland game is a separation game. If the Hokies beat the Terps, they
have the tiebreaker over Maryland. It also gives them a much better chance to
get a first round bye in the ACC Tournament, and this is a year where you want
that bye for sure. They need to create a high energy for the game from the
opening tip on Tuesday.
- You have to defend Jordan Williams early and keep him off the glass. The game
will be won in transition offense. Which team can create and make more easy
baskets? Greenberg is expecting a high-level game. Maryland is very efficient
- The ACC is still very competitive. It’s very tough to win, and there is a lot
of pressure. There are no easy outs. It doesn’t matter what the RPI says. Miami
is a good team. It doesn’t matter what Wake’s record is, they have the players
to get hot and beat you if you don’t play well. There are talented players and
great venues all over the league.
- Prince Parker has been really good for the locker room. He’s great with Jeff
Allen, and he’s been a valuable practice player.
- Tech plays at UVA on Saturday. Both teams are different since the first
meeting. UVA is playing a four-guard lineup with Mike Scott. They will spread
the Hokies out, and Tech will have to play disciplined. UVA depends on jump
shooting. They have been in almost every game, but they haven’t been able to
- The Hokies didn’t play with enough intensity in the first meeting with UVA.
They didn’t make anything happen.
- Greenberg thinks five ACC teams will make the NCAA Tournament. Duke and
Carolina are in today, and FSU is in great shape. BC’s RPI is in good shape. You
can create an argument for Clemson as well. A lot of things can happen in the
last six games. Miami is playing at a high level right now. They have the
Monday was Day 2,270 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.