Tech Talk Live (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can see the show in person Bull & Bones Brewhaus & Grill in Blacksburg.
Bull & Bones is the Sponsor of our Tech Talk Live Notes
new Tech Talk Live show is broadcast from Bull & Bones Brewhaus and Grill in
the First & Main shopping center in Blacksburg, and TechSideline.com is
pleased to welcome Bull & Bones as sponsor of our Tech Talk Live Notes. Bull
& Bones Brewhaus & Grill is a brewpub with both an upscale dining room
and a separate sports bar with a casual dining area
- Call Ahead Seating: 540-953-BULL(2855)
- Hours: Sun.-Sat. 11am-2am, Sun. Brunch 11am-3pm
- Greenberg did not make the team practice on Tuesday. It was the first day of the semester, and he wanted them to get dialed in to their new classes.
- The Hokies played NC Central just 48 hours after playing FSU, with a travel day included. That’s tough to do. Tech has another turnaround game later this year, when they face Clemson just two days after playing UNC. Fortunately both of those games are in Blacksburg.
- Erick Green was assertive against NC Central and he led the team with 11 points. He can’t be afraid to shoot the basketball.
- The Hokies have played good defense the last two games. They’ve pressured the ball, challenged shots, etc.
- Terrell Bell is doing a great job coming back to the basket and rebounding, and Greenberg hopes to get Dorenzo Hudson going in that regard as well. Tech isn’t that big on the inside, so it’s important that the guards rebound well. Jamon Gordon was the best rebounding guard Greenberg has had. A.D. Vassallo was very good at it as well.
- Paul Debnam is one of a kind. He’s kind of a cult figure to the student section. He’s a very bright person who wants to get into counseling. The guys on the bench are as excited as the guys on the court. Paul has plenty to do with that.
- Tech’s non-conference schedule looked better on paper before the season than it does now. Penn State won the NIT last year and was expected to be good again this year. Iowa is generally a good team. It hasn’t turned out that way this year, but those teams could still move up in the RPI with the Big Ten schedule coming up.
- Greenberg’s Top 5 vacation spots: #5 Treviso, Italy; #4 Palm Desert, CA; #3 Maui, Hawaii; #2 (tie)London, England and Paris, France; #1 The Hamptons.
- When you play Boston College, you play against their system. They run the tight flex offense. Joe Trapani is a matchup issue. They can run post isolations for their big guard Rakim Sanders. The Hokies have to win their home games.
- Greenberg is doing another Chalk Talk with students in D2 on Thursday.
Reggie Jackson for BC is a guy who can take over a game. He can come off screens, drive, he can score in a variety of ways.
- Seth Greenberg is very pleased with Victor Davila the last few games. He had nine rebounds against Florida State. He’s being very competitive. He’s a skilled offensive player. Greenberg told Davila on the way back from Florida State that he was going to be an All-Conference player before he’s done.
- Allan Chaney has such a great attitude. He’s really embraced his rehab, and he’s gotten healthier. He was in the gym getting back in shape on Monday, and doing it all on his own. He is still a very young player – he was only an 17 year old freshman at Florida last year before transferring to Tech. He’s big as well, taller than Cadarian Raines.
- The Hokies have a lot of guys who are very dedicated to getting better. He mentioned Jarell Eddie, Erick Green, Ben Boggs, Manny Atkins and Allan Chaney as guys who will be staying for both summer sessions this year.
- Tech will practice very hard on Wednesday, and they’ll have strength and conditioning workouts also. The Hokies will practice for themselves on Wednesday, with no prep for BC. On Thursday they will begin to put in the BC game plan. Greenberg is going to “back completely off them” on Friday. He wants them to be fresh, and he wants their best effort on Saturday at 1:30.
Tuesday was Day 1,879 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.