The Hokie Hotline (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can see the show in person at Awful Arthur’s in Blacksburg, and you can also watch the archive on hokietv.com.
Hokie Hotline Notes, sponsored by Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech
Dye River Course of Virginia Tech has expanded non-resident areas that
qualify for a lower membership rate. For more information, visit RiverCourseGolf.com,
or call 540-633-6732 or 1-888-PeteDye. Play the course! Click
here for tee times.
- Keeping your players focused is big during bowl week. They try to treat it just like a normal game week, but it’s hard with all the distractions.
- Beamer has really been pleased with the way the team has practiced over the last three days. That’s a good indication of where the players’ minds are.
- Beamer is aware that almost every audible at the line turns into a run up the middle. He’s talked to Stinespring about that. They’ve added some passes to the audible package. You need to have the threat of doing both.
- Not having Branden Ore in the first quarter doesn’t really change the play calling. Kenny Lewis, Jr. has made a lot of progress with his pass protection.
- For the guys who are thinking about leaving for the NFL, it’s important that they get the best available information before they make a decision. Beamer is for what’s right for the player and their families.
- It’s a credit to the two quarterbacks and the coaching staff that the two quarterback system has worked. They probably couldn’t have won the ACC Championship without both quarterbacks playing well.
- Football is very important to Sean Glennon. He’s a competitor. Those things got him through the tough times.
- If Tech wins this game, they have a chance to finish #2. It’s not often you get to play for that honor. That’s a lot to play for.
- Beamer feels like the football team is tighter than it’s ever been. They realize they’ve been the face for Virginia Tech this year.
- Xavier Adibi is a great leader. He doesn’t talk a lot, but when he gets in that huddle and says something, people listen.
- Vince Hall is banged up. They had some water games for the players, and he tweaked his knee a little bit. It was a little tender on Monday.
- The team has been very sharp since they’ve been in Miami. Hopefully that will continue. They need to keep going with good focus and good intensity.
- Kansas has good players and they are well-coached. They are a very efficient team and they play very hard. They are solid across the board.
- Beamer knew Jud Dunlevy was on the same level as Shayne Graham and Brandon Pace. He just needed experience and confidence. He did a great job throughout the year. He kicked some big field goals.
- Marcus Herford of Kansas ran two kickoffs back for touchdowns this year. Aqib Talib could be returning some punts for them in this game. He is their All-American cornerback.
- Beamer recently wrote Michael Vick a letter. He’s going to keep writing him as long as he’s away. He’s going to encourage Vick to get his degree and to use his story to help people down the road.
- Kansas is very balanced on offense. Those are the hard offenses to defend, the balanced ones. They want to stop the run and get the Jayhawks in passing situations.
Monday was Day 1,129 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the