The Hokie Hotline (football and basketball season)
When: Every Monday from 7:00-9:00 during football season, 7:00-8:00 during basketball season.
Where: Click here for a list of radio stations, and to find the link for listening to the show on the Internet (look to the right on the hokiesports.com page that loads when you click the link). You can also watch the archive on hokietv.com.
- The team practiced indoors on Monday. They watched the Northeastern game
film and got the scouting report on UNC.
- Branden Ore played very well against Northeastern. He is a changed person
who has grown up and matured. He broke seven tackles during the game, which
is great. The fullbacks played very well also.
- All the things the Hokies did wrong during the game are very correctable.
- George Bell has worked very hard to come back from a disastrous knee
injury. He needs to run straight ahead. He ran a little too sideways on
- Elan Lewis has a chance to be a very special player if he can get down to
around 218-220. He’s still a little overweight at 228.
- Hite said he feels good about putting the ball into the hands of Jesse
Allen and Carlton Weatherford.
- Hite said the Hokies have never had a freshman come in that was as ready
to play as Kam Chancellor. They wanted to keep him at quarterback, but he
can play right away on defense.
- Nick Marshman really improved over the past six or seven practices before
the Northeastern game. He has really good feet for a guy his size.
- UNC’s leading tacklers against Rutgers were their safeties. That’s
never a good sign. They will be ready to go against the Hokies. They want to
get back on track.
- Weaver said he is very disappointed in how long it took people to get into
the stadium. The group they hired to do security and take tickets didn’t
get the job done. It will be better for the next game.
- Per Weaver, the positive about hiring the group is that there was a lot of
alcohol confiscated at the gates.
- Weaver said he thinks Tech will get UNC’s best shot on Saturday. UNC
will be angry about losing the season opener against Rutgers.
- Weaver said he thinks Tech has to run the football to be successful
against UNC. They have to control the line of scrimmage and eat the
clock. The Hokies have to control the tempo.
- Tech had its highest graduation rate in the history of the athletic
department this past year at 74%. Last spring semester was the best ever for
the athletic department. The worst team GPA was 2.62.
- The overall effort was very good on Saturday. There were a lot of good
things to take out of the game. There were some missed assignments, but
everything is correctable.
- They are fitting Brandon Frye with a special brace and they are going to
see how he can play with it this week in practice. It will probably take a
couple of weeks, but you never know.
- There are a lot of unknowns at offensive tackle for the Hokies. With Frye’s
injury, they don’t have a lot of depth. But at the same time, they didn’t
think they had a lot of depth there in the Gator Bowl when Jimmy Martin got
hurt, but Frye stepped in and played great.
- Beamer disagreed with the first personal foul penalty on Xavier Adibi.
However, he will be punished for the second personal foul penalty. He’ll
be out running with Coach Beamer on Wednesday morning, and he’ll forfeit
$100 of his bowl per diem.
- The new clock rules can have a major effect on offenses. If you try to
make a lot of substitutions or run a lot of players in motion, then it could
have a major effect. You’ve got to be a lot more organized on the
- The new clock rules will be most important while running the two minute
offense. The coaches have a sheet that they use to tell them what plays they
can call, depending on the down and distance, and how much time is
- Sean Glennon got off to a great start. It was a confidence builder. He was
in control and he never panicked. It’s important for him to be consistent.
He graded out at 93%.
- Ike Whitaker played pretty well also. He gets a little better all the
time, and that’s what you want from your backup quarterback.
- The staff will probably know on Tuesday whether or not Jahre Cheeseman and
Cam Martin will be able to play against UNC on Saturday.
- UNC brings a lot of athletes to the table. Larry Edwards can really run,
and they’ve got some really tall wide receivers. They are going to come
out and play their very best. The Hokies have to be ready to play.
- Danny Pearman, former VT tight ends coach, is now coaching at North
Carolina. The first thing the Hokies did is change their signals.
- Cordarrow Thompson and William Wall played well on the defensive line,
especially in their first game action. Richard Graham did okay in his first
game, with 13 pluses and four minuses.
Monday was Day 646 of Virginia Tech’s continuous possession of the Commonwealth Cup.