The “Week In Review” is back, updating you on how Virginia Tech’s class of 2014 recruits are performing on the gridiron this season. The following future Hokies saw their seasons come to end before this past week…
- Terrell Edmunds , CB, Dan River (Ringgold, VA)
- Andrew Ford , QB, Cedar Cliff (Camp Hill, PA)
- Eric Gallo , OL, Council Rock South (Holland, PA)
- Javon Harrison , ATH, Kathleen (Lakeland, FL)
- Kendrick Holland , WR, Winter Haven (FL)
- Travon McMillian , QB/ATH, Hylton (Woodbridge, VA)
- Colt Pettit , OL, Patrick Henry (Deshler, OH)
- Cam Phillips , WR, DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, VA)
- CJ Reavis , S, Thomas Dale (Chester, VA)
- Michael Santamaria , PK, Athens Academy (Athens, GA)
- Tyrell Smith , OL, Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.)
- Ricky Walker , DT, Bethel (Hampton, VA)
- Marshawn Williams , RB, Phoebus (Hampton, VA)
The rest of Virginia Tech’s recruits were in playoff action this past week. Let’s get to the results…
- Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA) downed Forest Park, 40-7, to advance to the 6A South Region final against Colonial Forge. The unbeaten Tigers are led on offense by Virginia Tech wide receiver recruit Jaylen Bradshaw . Colonial Forge is coming off an upset win over a very talented Ocean Lakes team, so this Saturday’s matchup should be interesting to watch.
- Tech-bound TE/DL Xavier Burke and the Brunswick Bulldogs (Lawrenceville, VA) defeated Clarke County, 21-14, to advance to the 2A state semifinals. Brunswick (11-2) hosts Buckingham County (11-3) on Saturday.
- Massaponax (Fredericksburg, VA), which features two Tech recruits in defensive end Vinny Mihota and defensive tackle Steve Sobczak , fell to North Stafford, 42-21, in a 5A North Region semifinal. Massaponax still had a terrific season that included an undefeated regular season, during which it defeated North Stafford in overtime.
Mihota, who is still recovering from a foot injury that sidelined him for much of the season, will enroll at Tech next month. Sobczak will sign a letter of intent with the Hokies in February before enrolling next summer.
- L.C. Bird (Chesterfield, VA) surged to a 34-10 halftime lead and cruised to a 46-10 win over Atlee in the 5A South Region semifinals. The Skyhawks, which feature Tech-bound defensive back/wide receiver Shawn Payne , host Virginia Beach Salem in the 5A South regional final on Saturday at 2 pm.
- Stonewall Jackson (Manassas, VA) entered the 4th quarter of the 6A North Region semifinals down only 10 to unbeaten Centreville, but the Wildcats scored 21 straight points to pull away from the Raiders and capture a 52-27 win. Greg Stroman had a terrific passing effort in the loss, completing 9-of-14 passes for 260 yards and three touchdowns. Centreville slowed him down in the running game, however, limiting the dynamic Virginia Tech recruit to 47 yards on 18 carries. Stroman did have a 15-yard touchdown run to start the game’s scoring.
The Raiders had a nice postseason run, winning two straight regional playoff games as a no. 13 seed.
In case you missed it, check out this article on Stroman by the Washington Post.
VT’s OL RECRUITS
- Billy Ray Mitchell , Paramus Catholic (Paramus, N.J.)
After a week off, Paramus Catholic is set to take on St. Peter’s Prep in the Non-Public, Group 4 state championship. The championship contest takes place on Friday at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
- Brady Taylor, Bishop Ready (Columbus, OH)
After capturing a regional title, Bishop Ready fell short in its quest for a state championship, falling to Kirtland in the Division IV state semifinals by a score of 10-7. The Silver Knights finished 2013 with a 12-2 record.
The following is a list of those postseason all-star games Virginia Tech’s recruits will play in…
PREVIOUS “WEEK IN REVIEW” REPORTS
Scroll down to comment. To comment, you must be a registered member of the site. Not registered with the site? Click here to get started.