The “Week In Review” is back, updating you on how Virginia Tech’s class of 2014 recruits are performing on the gridiron. Travon McMillian shined once again for Hylton, while QB Andrew Ford and Cedar Cliff lost a tough one. Here are those updates and more from those high school seniors that have verbally committed to the Hokies…
- A game that promised to be pretty competitive turned out to be the opposite as Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA) shutout Southeastern District rival Grassfield, 42-0. The Tigers have shown a potent aerial attack featuring by Virginia Tech-bound wide receiver Jaylen Bradshaw , but junior running back Deshawn McClease scored five touchdowns in this latest win. McClease has been offered by Tech.
Oscar Smith is now 7-0.
- Brunswick (Lawrenceville, VA), which is led by Tech-bound TE/DL Xavier Burke , cruised to a 41-6 victory over Park View. The Bulldogs are 5-1.
- Dan River (Ringgold, VA) put another one in the win column this past week, defeating Campbell by a score of 48-6. It was a nice rebound effort for the Wildcats (6-2), which were dealt a 30-0 loss by AltaVista the previous week. Appomattox County awaits Terrell Edmunds and company this week.
- Despite suffering a right shoulder (non-throwing) sprain the previous week, quarterback Andrew Ford managed to play against Lower Dauphin this past week. Unfortunately, Ford and his Cedar Cliff (Camp Hill, PA) teammates were on the wrong end of a 17-7 decision. The Virginia Tech recruit completed 25 of 38 passes for 260 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions in the defeat, the Colts’ first of the season. Cedar Cliff had won its first seven games.
- Kathleen (Lakeland, FL) moved to 6-1 on the season after a 31-28 win over Haines City. ATH Javon Harrison made his impact on special teams, returning a punt 55 yards for a score to give his team a 14-0 lead after the first quarter.
- Virginia Tech’s newest commitment, wide receiver Kendrick Holland , helped Winter Haven (FL) down Sebring, 43-0. The 6’4″ Holland had a 56-yard punt return for a touchdown in the win. Winter Haven (FL) is 6-2 heading into a bye week.
- QB/ATH Travon McMillian led Hylton (Woodbridge, VA) to a 40-14 win over a Woodbridge team led by his friend and top recruit, Da’Shawn Hand. The 6’0″, 195-pound McMillian had 250 yards rushing and 113 yards passing in the win, the Bulldogs’ sixth of the year to just one loss.
Check out a few highlights of McMillian in action by clicking here (McMillian is no. 2 in blue).
- As expected, DE Vinny Mihota was on the sidelines in Massaponax’ (Fredericksburg, VA) 41-10 win over Stafford last Friday night. The Panthers (8-0) have two regular season games remaining, beginning with this Friday night’s matchup against a 7-1 North Stafford squad that was in contention for a state championship last season.
- WR/DB recruit Shawn Payne hauled in a 29-yard touchdown pass in L.C. Bird’s 60-0 win over Dominion District foe Huguenot. The Chesterfield (VA) school is now 7-0 on the season.
- Cam Phillips had six catches for 111 yards and a touchdown as DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, MD) defeated Gonzaga, 31-21, in a key WCAC showdown. The Stags improve to 4-0 in the WCAC, 7-1 overall. Phillips has scored in all but two games this season, racking up nine touchdowns in total.
- Thomas Dale (Chester, VA) star CJ Reavis will play defense, likely free safety or rover, at Virginia Tech. He helped the Knights on offense last Friday night, though, with a 31-yard touchdown reception in a 48-14 win over Colonial Heights. Dale (4-2) has won four straight games.
- Athens Academy (Athens, GA) fell to 4-3 on the season after a 28-7 defeat at the hands of Commerce. Tech place-kicker recruit Michael Santamaria , who is expected to grayshirt and enroll at Tech in January of 2015, plays quarterback and defensive back for Athens.
- QB/ATH Greg Stroman and the Stonewall Jackson Raiders (Manassas, VA) handed Patriot only its second loss of the season this past week. All three of Stroman’s touchdown passes came in the first half of Stonewall Jackson’s 41-35 win. The Raiders improve to 4-4 on the season.
- DT Ricky Walker and the Bethel (Hampton, VA) defense blanked Warwick in a 31-0 victory. The Bruins are now 5-3.
- Phoebus (Hampton, VA) trailed 14-7 at the half against Woodside but responded with a 28-0 second half for its seventh win of the season. The Phantoms have tasted defeat only once this season. RB Marshawn Williams rushed for 170 yards while sophomore quarterback Terrell Toliver provided the scoring punch, accounting for three touchdowns (2 pass, 1 rush).
VT’s “FAB FIVE” OL RECRUITS
- Eric Gallo , Council Rock South (Holland, PA)
Last week’s loss to Abington puts CRS at 1-7 on the season. William Tennent is up next on the schedule.
This matchup of Garden State heavyweights went the way of Don Bosco, 20-13. The Ironmen evened their record at 3-3 while Paramus Catholic suffered its first defeat of the 2013 season, dropping to 5-1. Tech fans with ESPN3 can still watch the game on replay by clicking here.
- Colt Pettit , Patrick Henry (Deshler, OH)
Patrick Henry defeated Archbold, 28-21, on the road to improve its record to 6-2. The Patriots are 4-0 on the road this season. A November 1 home tilt against Wauseon is all that remains in PH’s regular season.
- Brady Taylor , Bishop Ready (Columbus, OH)
Taylor and his Bishop Ready teammates destroyed a Bexley team that was 5-2 before last weekend, 64-13. Bishop Ready is undefeated at 8-0 heading into this Saturday’s contest against Muskegon Heights.
PREVIOUS “WEEK IN REVIEW” REPORTS