All 18 of Virginia Tech’s high school senior recruits were in action this past weekend. QB Andrew Ford , who has consistently come through with top performances this season, along with WR Cam Phillips and RB Marshawn Williams highlight the list of standout performers from this past week.
- WR Jaylen Bradshaw had touchdown receptions of 14, 65, and 18 yards as Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA) routed Lakeland, 56-6. The Tigers improve to 4-0 on the season.
- Cedar Cliff (Camp Hill, PA) notched its fifth win of the season (to zero losses) with a 35-7 decision over Red Land. Andrew Ford ‘s outstanding senior season continued as he completed 12 of 19 passes for 281 yards and four touchdowns and one interception. This link provides a game story plus video highlights.
- Kathleen (Lakeland, FL) defeated Winter Haven to improve to 4-1 on the year. WR/CB Javon Harrison , a Virginia Tech commitment, caught the game-winning touchdown in overtime. Harrison had two touchdowns in total — one rush, one receiving — in the 21-14 win.
- Travon McMillian had another big week, but it wasn’t enough as Hylton (Woodbridge, VA) dropped a 31-21 decision to Patriot. The Bulldogs fall to 3-1.
In defeat, McMillian completed 12 of 19 passes for 229 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He also had 19 carries for 134 yards, including a 55-yard touchdown run that opened the game’s scoring.
- Cam Phillips is headed to Virginia Tech as a wide receiver, but it was his big play on defense — a 97-yard interception return for a touchdown – that helped DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, MD) capture a 21-0 over archrival Good Counsel. The Stags are now 2-0 in the WCAC, 5-1 overall.
On offense, Phillips had three catches for 36 yards.
- Phoebus (Hampton, VA) running back Marshawn Williams racked up 233 yards rushing and four touchdowns in a 42-0 win over Hampton, where Williams attended for his first three years of high school. Williams now has 1,012 yards rushing and 17 touchdowns on the year, and Phoebus is now 4-1.
CHECKING IN ON THE REST OF VT’s CLASS OF 2014
- Brunswick (Lawrenceville, VA), which is led by TE/DL Xavier Burke , defeated Windsor by a score of 47-10. The Bulldogs have now won two straight to even their record at 2-2.
- Terrell Edmunds and the Dan River Wildcats (Ringgold, VA) cruised to a 62-0 win over Nelson County. Dan River is now 4-1 on the year. Edmunds, a defensive back recruit, rushed six times for 154 yards including touchdown runs 59 and 68 yards. He rushed for over 300 yards in a win the previous week.
- Council Rock South (Holland, PA) continues to struggle in 2013. This past weekend OL Eric Gallo and company lost to Pennsbury by 36, falling to 0-5 on the year.
- Massaponax (Fredericksburg, VA) remains undefeated (5-0) after a 33-15 win over Franklin County last week. The Panthers host Riverbend this Friday night, but it is not known if Virginia Tech-bound defensive end Vinny Mihota will suit up. Mihota has been sidelined for several weeks while recovering from a foot injury.
- Paramus Catholic (Paramus, N.J.), which features VT offensive line recruit Billy Ray Mitchell , defeated Cleveland (OH) program St. Ignatius, 44-10. Paramus Catholic is 4-0 and enjoys a bye this week.
- L.C. Bird (Chesterfield, VA), which features Tech-bound defensive back/wide receiver prospect Shawn Payne , blasted Monacan, 73-7. The Skyhawks, 4-0 on the year, appear ready to take on Norfolk power Lake Taylor on Friday night. Last season, Lake Taylor captured the AAA Division 5 state championship while Bird took home the AAA Division 6 crown.
- Patrick Henry (Deshler, OH), which is led by senior OL Colt Pettit , has now won four consecutive games after dropping its season opener. Last week’s victory came against Evergreen by a score of 50-6.
- CJ Reavis and the Thomas Dale Knights (Chester, VA) outscored Hopewell 13-2 in the 4th in a 32-23 victory. Dale evens its record at 2-2.
- Athens Academy (Athens, GA) is now 3-1 following a 35-7 victory over Lakeview Academy. Virginia Tech recruit Michael Santamaria is Athens’ quarterback and place-kicker.
- OL Tyrell Smith and the Don Bosco Prep Ironmen (Ramsey, N.J.) lost to DePaul, 35-25, to drop to 1-3.
- Stonewall Jackson (Manassas, VA) scored a much needed win this past week, defeating Gar-Field by a score of 21-15. The Raiders are now 2-3. Virginia Tech-bound athlete Greg Stroman , the Raiders’ starting quarterback, has missed some action this season due to a hip injury. I could not find if he returned to action this past week, but if he didn’t he could be back this week against Freedom.
- OL/DL Brady Taylor and his Bishop Ready (Columbus, OH) teammates continue to roll along in 2013, this time downing Fisher Catholic by a score of 49-14 last week. Bishop Ready is 5-0 heading into this week’s matchup against Washington.
Previous “Week In Review” Reports, The 2013 Season