Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Join Date
    October 31, 2005
    Posts
    184

    "We want it to be our home".....UNC via ESPN. Pretty telling if you ask me.

    Saying "We want to" is a lot different than saying "it will be". How I read this is, if anyone else jumps ship, we are gonzo.

    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ignment-rumors

    "North Carolina is a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference and we believe the ACC is the finest conference in the nation. The ACC has been our home for nearly 60 years and we want it to be our home for another 60 years at least. Our speculating on what other league may be better for the Tar Heels would not be productive. We are part of a great league with a strong future and we know that the ACC leadership is serious in its efforts to strengthen the conference and position it for long-term success."

  2. #2

    Join Date
    October 13, 2004
    Posts
    1,830
    Yeah that does not say we aren't going anywhere to me.

    It syas

    ACC is great we WANT to stay
    ACC leadership is doing everything they can to keep it great

    doesn't address what happens if leadership can't keep it viable

    and I wouldn't expect him to speculate on that either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgantownhokie88 View Post
    Saying "We want to" is a lot different than saying "it will be". How I read this is, if anyone else jumps ship, we are gonzo.

    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ignment-rumors

    "North Carolina is a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference and we believe the ACC is the finest conference in the nation. The ACC has been our home for nearly 60 years and we want it to be our home for another 60 years at least. Our speculating on what other league may be better for the Tar Heels would not be productive. We are part of a great league with a strong future and we know that the ACC leadership is serious in its efforts to strengthen the conference and position it for long-term success."

  3. #3

    Join Date
    July 17, 2001
    Location
    Hughesville, MD
    Posts
    11,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgantownhokie88 View Post
    Saying "We want to" is a lot different than saying "it will be". How I read this is, if anyone else jumps ship, we are gonzo.

    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ignment-rumors

    "North Carolina is a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference and we believe the ACC is the finest conference in the nation. The ACC has been our home for nearly 60 years and we want it to be our home for another 60 years at least. Our speculating on what other league may be better for the Tar Heels would not be productive. We are part of a great league with a strong future and we know that the ACC leadership is serious in its efforts to strengthen the conference and position it for long-term success."
    straight from the mouth of UNC alum Swofford sort of. "we want...."...not "it will...."

  4. #4

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    3,599
    It does mean though that UNC is not going to make any implosion happen. And I think Uva and VT have been reasonally clear that they prefer to make the ACC work and wont be the trigger. Everyone may well have a contingency plan but I take this to mean they arent off and running the moment the Big Ten comes knocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTreddog View Post
    Yeah that does not say we aren't going anywhere to me.

    It syas

    ACC is great we WANT to stay
    ACC leadership is doing everything they can to keep it great

    doesn't address what happens if leadership can't keep it viable

    and I wouldn't expect him to speculate on that either.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    November 19, 2012
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Vippie1 View Post
    It does mean though that UNC is not going to make any implosion happen. And I think Uva and VT have been reasonally clear that they prefer to make the ACC work and wont be the trigger. Everyone may well have a contingency plan but I take this to mean they arent off and running the moment the Big Ten comes knocking.
    This is what it sounds like to me.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    October 13, 2004
    Posts
    1,830
    I never really thought they would be the trigger. I believe ND is driving the boat. If they do not come on as a full member (which they won't) I dont believe ACC is financially viable compared to SEC or B1G over the next 3-5yrs.

    I believe current ACC memebers are waiting to see if they can convince ND to join if not, then all bets are off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vippie1 View Post
    It does mean though that UNC is not going to make any implosion happen. And I think Uva and VT have been reasonally clear that they prefer to make the ACC work and wont be the trigger. Everyone may well have a contingency plan but I take this to mean they arent off and running the moment the Big Ten comes knocking.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    1,625
    Spouting the same party line as VT, basically. At this point, I don't think you'll hear anyone say "we're never, ever leaving the ACC." Things are too unsettled for unequivocal statements like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •