Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If I'm Swofford

Quote Originally Posted by 133177Hokie View Post
    I am in South Bend on a conference call with Penn State describing the advantages of having those two schools join the ACC. While the current TV deal does not compare with the B10 or SEC, a re-negotiated TV deal with both of those two would be gigantic.

It would also reduce the effect of the B10's grab of MD and Rutgers and put them on an island (of futility) and really lock up the east coast. Theoretically we might be able to move to a seven game ACC season to accomodate ND (using rotating pods). I think if you have to entice Penn State with $$ until the TV deal is renegotiated...you do it.

Maybe we could then be in a position to negotiate a better ACC Network with ESPN, who knows.
    I don't think you understand. The ACC has nothing to offer in the future that the BIG doesn't offer right now, today. You don't have that conversation AFTER you just lost a founding member. Besides that, you already signed Pitt in the same state...lol. No, that's not even a serious option.

The ACC is GOING to lose more members, the only thing that's kept it together this long is the ignorance among the administrations of how the financials work. I know this from reading the uninformed comments of different members of various university boards. They're kinda dumb on this stuff....but they're gonna figure it out quick and realize the BIG and SEC are about to take off into outer space financially. Too much money to pass up. Its gonna happen, just have to make sure we have a seat...and a fresh stack of deposit slips.

While we all like bashing JS (myself included) there really is VERY little he can do. The ACC has two distinct disadvantages (1) they boxed themselves in with their academics holier than thou requirement (2) geographically they were/are limited in viable football schools.

Furthermore - why would any team currently in the B1G and/or SEC ever think about leaving to join the ACC - never going to happen.

Stranger things have happened but I seriously doubt PSU would leave the Big 10.

BTW, email Will to change your username to something the rest of us can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by 133177Hokie View Post
    I am in South Bend on a conference call with Penn State describing the advantages of having those two schools join the ACC. While the current TV deal does not compare with the B10 or SEC, a re-negotiated TV deal with both of those two would be gigantic.

It would also reduce the effect of the B10's grab of MD and Rutgers and put them on an island (of futility) and really lock up the east coast. Theoretically we might be able to move to a seven game ACC season to accomodate ND (using rotating pods). I think if you have to entice Penn State with $$ until the TV deal is renegotiated...you do it.

Maybe we could then be in a position to negotiate a better ACC Network with ESPN, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    While we all like bashing JS (myself included) there really is VERY little he can do. The ACC has two distinct disadvantages (1) they boxed themselves in with their academics holier than thou requirement (2) geographically they were/are limited in viable football schools.
    That's pretty much the cause of the ACC's impending doom.

Email Will for a username the rest of us can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Techsupport View Post
    I don't think you understand. The ACC has nothing to offer in the future that the BIG doesn't offer right now, today. You don't have that conversation AFTER you just lost a founding member. Besides that, you already signed Pitt in the same state...lol. No, that's not even a serious option.

The ACC is GOING to lose more members, the only thing that's kept it together this long is the ignorance among the administrations of how the financials work. I know this from reading the uninformed comments of different members of various university boards. They're kinda dumb on this stuff....but they're gonna figure it out quick and realize the BIG and SEC are about to take off into outer space financially. Too much money to pass up. Its gonna happen, just have to make sure we have a seat...and a fresh stack of deposit slips.
    I see your point to degree...However, if (its a big IF) the ACC wants to try to survive, they have to present a vision of the future that could propel the ACC....I know it sounds far fetched, but if you can somehow convince Penn State that the future of the ACC can be comparable to the B10 (especially if PSU leaves the B10) you might be getting somewhere. The vision of the B10 today as presented to Maryland of an east coast hub for the B10 needs Penn State...If somehow that is removed it could cripple the B10 vision. How to get there? I'm not exactly certain. All I know is that I would be doing my best to try to find something.

Quote Originally Posted by bulab View Post
    Stranger things have happened but I seriously doubt PSU would leave the Big 10.

BTW, email Will to change your username to something the rest of us can remember.
    I dont disagree with you Bulab...but I also wouldn't give up until both ND and PSU stopped laughing at me. Question is, can you play on the insecurities of both schools? Can you present enough worry to ND that without the ACC they will either be forced to join the Big10 (which would certainly a kick to their pride) or maybe be left behind if the mega conferences come to be? Can you then promote to PSU the advantages of getting out of the B10 to a more supportive eastern based conference?

Then can you provide enough tangible advantages to each without angering the current membership(e.g., money and position within the conference) in order to make them think about the move? Probably not, but its worth a try.

If I'm Swafford, I'd start cutting down lampposts and confiscating rope. He's basically destroyed the ACC.
    Dei Gratia Rex Omnium Arkansarum Defensor Fideli