Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I'm Swofford

If I'm Swofford

I am in South Bend on a conference call with Penn State describing the advantages of having those two schools join the ACC. While the current TV deal does not compare with the B10 or SEC, a re-negotiated TV deal with both of those two would be gigantic.

It would also reduce the effect of the B10's grab of MD and Rutgers and put them on an island (of futility) and really lock up the east coast. Theoretically we might be able to move to a seven game ACC season to accomodate ND (using rotating pods). I think if you have to entice Penn State with $$ until the TV deal is renegotiated...you do it.

Maybe we could then be in a position to negotiate a better ACC Network with ESPN, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 133177Hokie View Post
    I am in South Bend on a conference call with Penn State describing the advantages of having those two schools join the ACC. While the current TV deal does not compare with the B10 or SEC, a re-negotiated TV deal with both of those two would be gigantic.

It would also reduce the effect of the B10's grab of MD and Rutgers and put them on an island (of futility) and really lock up the east coast. Theoretically we might be able to move to a seven game ACC season to accomodate ND (using rotating pods). I think if you have to entice Penn State with $$ until the TV deal is renegotiated...you do it.

Maybe we could then be in a position to negotiate a better ACC Network with ESPN, who knows.
    If you were Swofford you would be concerned about basketball and funneling more business to Raycom to keep them alive.

Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    If you were Swofford you would be concerned about basketball and funneling more business to Raycom to keep them alive.
    LOL...good point....Maybe I should have phrased the post: If I were ACC Commish...

Regardless, I think he needs to do something that the other conferences don't expect. If he does something to solidify the ACC (if only in perception)...the pressure goes over to the Big12.

Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    so instead of Penn State on the call, you're saying he'd have Kentucky and Indiana on the call? don't get me wrong, prying any school form the B1G or SEC might be enough to stop all of this nonsense, and our bball brand would be untouchable, but that would be about the "best" non-football move we could attempt to pull off.

(i wasn't being serious in case anyone is prepared to jump down my throat)
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    so instead of Penn State on the call, you're saying he'd have Kentucky and Indiana on the call? don't get me wrong, prying any school form the B1G or SEC might be enough to stop all of this nonsense, and our bball brand would be untouchable, but that would be about the "best" non-football move we could attempt to pull off.

(i wasn't being serious in case anyone is prepared to jump down my throat)

I know you weren't serious but going after the SEC could be a mistake...Annoying them could lead to them asking FSU to go to the SEC.

I really think if Swoffy could advocate the revival of the eastern rivalries along with the prospect of a renegotiated contract maybe getting close to the B10 numbers (as well as a nice on-boarding bonus to tide them over until the money kicks in) might make them at least think about it.

If not, so be it...but at least we tried. Then invite Louisville and hope that will be enough.

I know you weren't serious but going after the SEC could be a mistake...Annoying them could lead to them asking FSU to go to the SEC.

I really think if Swoffy could advocate the revival of the eastern rivalries along with the prospect of a renegotiated contract maybe getting close to the B10 numbers (as well as a nice on-boarding bonus to tide them over until the money kicks in) might make them at least think about it.

If not, so be it...but at least we tried. Then invite Louisville and hope that will be enough.
    i would invite Temple blindly before i would even pick up the l'ville application....
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i would invite Temple blindly before i would even pick up the l'ville application....
    I certainly have no love for Louisville (I remember the knife in VTs back during the Metro fiasco), but if the end goal is keeping the ACC together, I think they need to be considered.

If you are Swofford, you are at Bojangles

Unfortunately, if you were at Penn St, as much as they may want to do it, they simply cannot afford to make the jump to the ACC. Nobody in the Big Ten can afford it.

The exit clause for the B10 is that the conference gets to keep all your TV revenue for something like 10 years after you leave if you exit.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Unfortunately, if you were at Penn St, as much as they may want to do it, they simply cannot afford to make the jump to the ACC. Nobody in the Big Ten can afford it.

The exit clause for the B10 is that the conference gets to keep all your TV revenue for something like 10 years after you leave if you exit.

True...However, everything is negotiable. Folks argue that 50M is excessive with regard to the ACC. I would think that similar arguments could be made for 10 years of TV revenue in the case of the B10. Regardless...I think it is worth the effort (who knows, maybe Swoffy has already tried).

Maybe one alternative would be not to provide Penn State any TV revenue for X number of years, but rather a membership allotment of 25M per year. Its semantics but it might get folks to the bargaining table.