Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Observations from today's game

1. This group plays like a real team. They showed alot of teamwork and seemed to support one another. JJ used the bench very efficiently.
    2. Much better spacing on offense. Great ball movement against the zone. No standing around on O. Didn't have to play against the shot clock.
    3. Rebounding is a concern.
    4. Impressed with Brown, Eddie, and of course Green.
    5. The Cassell had a much different and positive vibe.
    6. During the National Anthem, the entire team and coaching staff stood together with their hands on their hearts (in previous years, Seth would stand away from the team with his hands behind his back). This might seem insignificant to some, but to me it displays that JJ is doing things the right way.

I expected this team to be more enjoyable to watch, but I was very encouraged by how well coached they looked for an opening game. I follow basketball very closely and in my opinion, the coaching looked far superior to that of the past.

One thing I noticed was that Adam Smith was wearing a suit and tie on the bench. I know under Greenberg the players who weren't dressed would just wear sweats. I don't know if he will do that regularly, but its little things like that and what you mentioned above that make me think we could have stumbled upon a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by vt88hokie View Post
    1. This group plays like a real team. They showed alot of teamwork and seemed to support one another. JJ used the bench very efficiently.
    2. Much better spacing on offense. Great ball movement against the zone. No standing around on O. Didn't have to play against the shot clock.
    6. During the National Anthem, the entire team and coaching staff stood together with their hands on their hearts (in previous years, Seth would stand away from the team with his hands behind his back). This might seem insignificant to some, but to me it displays that JJ is doing things the right way.

I expected this team to be more enjoyable to watch, but I was very encouraged by how well coached they looked for an opening game. I follow basketball very closely and in my opinion, the coaching looked far superior to that of the past.
    #3 and FT shooting are concerns of mine. I didn't attend the game but I watched it on crappy ESPN3 but one thing that really caught my eye were the smiles on the player's faces as they were playing. They didn't appear to be uptight waiting for the coach to yell at them if they made a mistake.

Went to the roundball event after the game. The players sat in the middle of the fans and were very engaging. I asked the players around me (including Eric Greene) weather they were having fun in the game and they were unanimous. Its fun to play for coach J.....

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    #3 and FT shooting are concerns of mine. I didn't attend the game but I watched it on crappy ESPN3 but one thing that really caught my eye were the smiles on the player's faces as they were playing. They didn't appear to be uptight waiting for the coach to yell at them if they made a mistake.
    That I may Serve is more than a motto at VT....

Coach brought out Adam at the roundball club event and he was styling. Coach said you were supposed to out style the head coach (got a big laugh from all).

Quote Originally Posted by BlacksburgHokie5 View Post
    One thing I noticed was that Adam Smith was wearing a suit and tie on the bench. I know under Greenberg the players who weren't dressed would just wear sweats. I don't know if he will do that regularly, but its little things like that and what you mentioned above that make me think we could have stumbled upon a good one.
    That I may Serve is more than a motto at VT....

All in all a pretty upbeat day. As you said rebounding continues to be a chief concern. ETSU is a team you hope we win the board battle against. Any of our experts have a comment on this? Is it we lack quickness/reaction time around the basket or is it in our fundamentals?

Quote Originally Posted by BlacksburgHokie5 View Post
    Maybe it wasn't a stumble.

They certainly looked a lot better today than Seth Greenberg's VT teams have looked in their season openers the past few years. Encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    They certainly looked a lot better today than Seth Greenberg's VT teams have looked in their season openers the past few years. Encouraging.
    I have a theory that Seth's lingo was a little hard to digest. Seth did not communicate the x's and o's as well as he knew them.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    All in all a pretty upbeat day. As you said rebounding continues to be a chief concern. ETSU is a team you hope we win the board battle against. Any of our experts have a comment on this? Is it we lack quickness/reaction time around the basket or is it in our fundamentals?
    Looked like lack of effort in the first half. I think we won the rebounding battle in the second half.