Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know it's only ETSU, but I like the way our team is moving the ball around today.

Overall, I just get the sense that it's a smoother operation than last season. Our PG and wings are more aggressive at penetrating and they're doing a good job of kicking the ball out for open jumpers. The spacing is good in the halfcourt set offense, and we're not seeing the aimless passing of the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds followed by a last-second 3-pointer under pressure that we so often saw under Greenberg. We're also obviously looking to push the ball up the floor whenever possible. I realize that we're very early into the James Johnson era, but so far I like what I'm seeing.

+1 - same here. Not sure how we will do overall but they have my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Willie View Post
    +1 - same here. Not sure how we will do overall but they have my interest.
    Something else I noticed is that I'm not seeing a lot of bad shots from VT. Almost all of our shots are occurring when guys are getting their feet under them, their shoulders squared, and their legs into the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    Something else I noticed is that I'm not seeing a lot of bad shots from VT. Almost all of our shots are occurring when guys are getting their feet under them, their shoulders squared, and their legs into the shot.
    Sounds great! Looking forward to this season.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Seemed much more fluid. Still struggling some in the halfcourt to get an open shot though.
    Overall, I just get the sense that it's a smoother operation than last season. Our PG and wings are more aggressive at penetrating and they're doing a good job of kicking the ball out for open jumpers. The spacing is good in the halfcourt set offense, and we're not seeing the aimless passing of the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds followed by a last-second 3-pointer under pressure that we so often saw under Greenberg. We're also obviously looking to push the ball up the floor whenever possible. I realize that we're very early into the James Johnson era, but so far I like what I'm seeing.

I totally agree on the offense. I like seeing them moving the ball inside and driving to the basket much more than they ever did last year. A more aggressive offense obviously comes with a higher turnover risk, but they did a good job protecting the ball. We'll see how this holds up against better and more aggressive defenses.

Defensive rebounding is my biggest concern so far -- we gave up too many offensive boards against a smallish team (14), though ETSU only did manage 13 second chance points.

Trivia: James Johnson now has the best winning percentage of any coach in VT history.

The only thing that hurt today: C J Barksdale was AWOL. 0 points 1 rebound. I see head problems with the game here.

Banned
    Ball movement was excellent. We won't shoot that high a percentage every game though. Only thing that killed me was rebounding. Not enough boxing out/securing boards.

I missed the first half here in Salt Lake, but I agree the ball movement looked more purposeful than last year. Being a Rustburg High grad, I never thought we would have TWO Red Devils on the team!BTW, we have over 350 Hokies here in Utah. Many of us get together to watch the games.
    Ut Prosim

JVZ looked ok....good hands which is the first thing I look for with a big

Agree on Barksdale - looked like he didn't want to be out there. I think Wood beats him out, easily and quickly, and that is not because of Wood. Our other 4 starters are rock solid though, and JVZ to me was a pleasant surprise today. He caught and finished in traffic several times. He can give us decent minutes which was an uncertainty. Johnston looked like he could also play spot minutes in ACC play and hold his own...looked confident with the ball.

Biggest concern for this team by far is the starting post play, especially on the boards. Raines for his size is not a good rebounder. Wood looked active, but he is a freshman.