Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Suits me, but don't like losing annual game vs GT.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengobbler View Post
    Suits me, but don't like losing annual game vs GT.
    Did you leave out some words....not sure I follow?

Allow me to translate:

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    Did you leave out some words....not sure I follow?
    "That alignment suits me, but I would miss not playing GT every year."

I did a double-take also when I first read that.

Ahh...makes since now. I guess I didn't read it that way because I couldn't fathom that anyone actually liked playing against GT...

Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.
    Move UNC/Duke in the atlantic and put Maryland/Clemson in the coastal. That keeps Clemson/GT, and puts all 4 NC schools in the same division so they play every year. Maryland can build up rivalries by playing Pitt and VT every year.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Move UNC/Duke in the atlantic and put Maryland/Clemson in the coastal. That keeps Clemson/GT, and puts all 4 NC schools in the same division so they play every year. Maryland can build up rivalries by playing Pitt and VT every year.
    i actually like this. if UNC and uva are crossovers, that solves the mid-atlantic rivalry issues i think...the question is, does the Clemson/FSU rivalry need to be preserved? if so, you have a problem where FSU has to choose Miami or Clemson. other than that, not so bad.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

I still say forget geographic divisions. Let's go with cultural divisions:

The "Us" division (aka the Real ACC, the Basketball division, Tobacco Road, the bluebloods, The Way It Used To Be, etc.)
    Maryland
    Virginia
    Duke
    North Carolina
    North Carolina State
    Wake Forest
    Georgia Tech

The "Them" division (aka the Interlopers, those schools who ruined our conference, the Football division, etc)
    Boston College
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Virginia Tech
    Clemson
    Florida State
    Miami

Even though Syracuse is a newbie, they might fit into the "Us" group better than Georgia Tech does.

If we have to move can we get away from Maryland please?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    I don't think UVa and UNC would agree. When the ACC put together the divisions, I think they took into account the existing rivalries. Since we were not in the conference, we didn't have a rival outside of UVa. So they put CLemson and FSU together in a division to keep that Bowden Bowden rivalry, they made GT ther crossover because both Clem and GT want to keep that. They kept Duke and UNC together while UNC gets State as a cross over. UNC and Uva are the oldest rivalry in the south, so they play every year and UVa and MD keep their rivalry as the cross over.

I actually love this setup. Send an email to Swofford!