Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

You know Clemson and USC were founding members and Tech joined "right" before FSU?

How about Southerns vs Yankees? Miami counts as a Yankee.

Worth noting the Jackets have four MNCs.. not bad for a non football school.

Quote Originally Posted by Tafkam Hokie View Post
    I still say forget geographic divisions. Let's go with cultural divisions:

The "Us" division (aka the Real ACC, the Basketball division, Tobacco Road, the bluebloods, The Way It Used To Be, etc.)
    Maryland
    Virginia
    Duke
    North Carolina
    North Carolina State
    Wake Forest
    Georgia Tech

The "Them" division (aka the Interlopers, those schools who ruined our conference, the Football division, etc)
    Boston College
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Virginia Tech
    Clemson
    Florida State
    Miami

Even though Syracuse is a newbie, they might fit into the "Us" group better than Georgia Tech does.

Quote Originally Posted by helluvaeng96 View Post
    How about Southerns vs Yankees? Miami counts as a Yankee.

Worth noting the Jackets have four MNCs.. not bad for a non football school.
    Clemson has always been that school in the ACC with its priorities out of whack (i.e. football is better than basketball). Doesn't really matter if they are a founding member.

As for GT, that is partially why I think swapping SU and GT could make sense. I don't have a good feel feel for whether GT has ever been fully embraced by Tobacco Road or not.

4 national titles, lol "Claimed", 1 shared and 3 non AP or Coaches

Why even both with fixed divisions? You could easily establish rivalry games that always exist and then rotate the divisions based on performance from the previous year. Create some variety in schedules so that it's not the same season over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Why even both with fixed divisions? You could easily establish rivalry games that always exist and then rotate the divisions based on performance from the previous year. Create some variety in schedules so that it's not the same season over and over and over again.
    i agree, but would do 2 year rotations based on previous 2 year's performance.

The 7 BEST records from the previous 2 years combined would form Division A and the other 7 would form Division B. any previously defined rivalries lost due to relegation or promotion would be protected (could be 1 or 2 as needed). any remaining cross-over games (2 per team max) would be collectively selected based on interest, length of time since last meeting, etc.

One division would most likely be much tougher than the other, so i would recommend dropping the CLT location for the ACCCG and letting the Division 1 champ host the game. rev sharing would still be 100% as it is today, but ESPN may like the fact that the 7 "best" teams would most likely be playing each other every year going forward and reward us accordingly.

For demonstration purposes, the 2012-13 Divisions (12 teams) based on 2010-11 results would have been (with cross over games):

Division 1:
    Virginia Tech (15-1) - uva, BC, Maryland
    Florida St (11-5) - wake, dook, Maryland
    Clemson (10-6) - uva, Maryland, UNC
    GT (9-7) - uva, wake, BC
    NCSU (9-7) - UNC, dook, wake
    Miami (8-8) - BC, UNC, dook

Division 2:
    BC (7-9) - VT, Miami, GT
    UNC (7-9) - NCSU, Miami, Clemson
    Maryland (6-10) - VT, Clemson, FSU
    Wake (6-10) - NCSU, GT, FSU
    uva (6-10) - VT, GT, Clemson
    dook (2-14) - NCSU, Miami, FSU

After 2 years (home and home under this format), there would be a full reset. no rotation.

I know i posted something similar last week and pretty much made fun of myself for posting it, but the more i think about it, the more it grows on me...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Move UNC/Duke in the atlantic and put Maryland/Clemson in the coastal. That keeps Clemson/GT, and puts all 4 NC schools in the same division so they play every year. Maryland can build up rivalries by playing Pitt and VT every year.

Who are the cross-division rivals in this setup? I think the problem here is that there's not a lot of natural match-ups outside Miami - FSU which exists now, and UVA-UNC.

Also note that we go from having a guaranteed game in N.C. every season to once per 3 years. Unless we switch cross-division rivals to NC State or something. Because with an 8-game schedule, it takes 12 years to do home & home with non-rival teams in the other division.

Actually getting rid of those cross-division rivalry games cut it down to a more palatable 7 year rotation instead of 12 year, but I don't think there's a way to account for all the rivalries with just in-division games.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockWaveVT View Post
    Who are the cross-division rivals in this setup? I think the problem here is that there's not a lot of natural match-ups outside Miami - FSU which exists now, and UVA-UNC.

Also note that we go from having a guaranteed game in N.C. every season to once per 3 years. Unless we switch cross-division rivals to NC State or something. Because with an 8-game schedule, it takes 12 years to do home & home with non-rival teams in the other division.

Actually getting rid of those cross-division rivalry games cut it down to a more palatable 7 year rotation instead of 12 year, but I don't think there's a way to account for all the rivalries with just in-division games.
    that's what ECU is for
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC