Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1

    Join Date
    April 04, 2010
    Posts
    190

    Proposition for ACC division realignment

    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

    North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

    This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    August 23, 2001
    Posts
    60,626
    No thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

    North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

    This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    January 19, 2004
    Posts
    15,980
    Wow, the north division would be BORING.

    Also, why do you say that the only way to make Clemson and VT cross-division rivals is to go to a north-south structure? Technically, wouldn't ANY alignment that put VT and Clemson in opposite divisions afford the opportunity for them to be cross-division rivals?

    Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

    North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

    This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    April 04, 2010
    Posts
    190
    You would have to keep the Clemson-GT rivalry going as well

  5. #5
    Techsupport's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    17,802
    Boredom is what you get when you build an athletic conference on academic perception rather than...athletics.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    February 03, 2005
    Posts
    2,098
    This would be awful for VT.

    Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

    North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

    This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    You would have to keep the Clemson-GT rivalry going as well
    Why? Is there a rule that says they have to play every year?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    July 27, 2007
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

    North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

    This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.
    It is simpler than that - just swap UVA into the Atlantic and move BC over to the Coastal. Then you line up "rivals" like this - VT/UVA, Miami/FSU, GT/Clemson, UNC/NCSU, Duke/Wake, Pitt/Cuse, BC/Md (the only one that really doesn't make sense).

    Play your 6 divisional opponents every year, your one rival, and rotate the others.

    Bottom line is this - 14 is too big. It basically is a situation of having two 7 school conferences, with a scheduling pact with the other conference, and a championship game.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    September 03, 2002
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

    North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

    This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.
    While Duke may be UNC's rival on the hardboards, they aren't pretty much anywhere else. Can't imagine UNC not playing NC State every year. Moving us against Clemson drops what has been a good rivalry with Miami (who has played us tough even in their down years).

    While I agree the ACC needs to get their few marquee teams to play each other more, this doesn't do that. Its going to get even worse now that we're expanding to 14 and keeping to 8 in conference games.

  10. #10
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan86 View Post
    While Duke may be UNC's rival on the hardboards, they aren't pretty much anywhere else. Can't imagine UNC not playing NC State every year. Moving us against Clemson drops what has been a good rivalry with Miami (who has played us tough even in their down years).

    While I agree the ACC needs to get their few marquee teams to play each other more, this doesn't do that. Its going to get even worse now that we're expanding to 14 and keeping to 8 in conference games.
    UNC has to play dook, NCSU and uva every year in football. that is not going to change. there are reasons beyond splitting FSU and Miami behind the coastal/atlantic split. when you look at ALL the rivalries in the league, and preserve all of them, the current split is the only way to really do it. rivalries (even if only important to the 2 schools involved) are FAR more important than geography IMO.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •