Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Proposition for ACC division realignment

Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.

No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Hokie SC View Post
    Clemson and VT should be divisional crossover rivals. I think the only way this would work would be to split the conference into a north and a south division. This would keep all current rivalries in tact. Here me out:

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

This keeps BC/Miami and UNC/Duke rivalries. To me this makes complete sense. However, doing things that "make sense" seems to be something that Swofford doesn't know much about.

Wow, the north division would be BORING.

Also, why do you say that the only way to make Clemson and VT cross-division rivals is to go to a north-south structure? Technically, wouldn't ANY alignment that put VT and Clemson in opposite divisions afford the opportunity for them to be cross-division rivals?

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

You would have to keep the Clemson-GT rivalry going as well

Boredom is what you get when you build an athletic conference on academic perception rather than...athletics.

This would be awful for VT.

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

You would have to keep the Clemson-GT rivalry going as well
    Why? Is there a rule that says they have to play every year?

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

It is simpler than that - just swap UVA into the Atlantic and move BC over to the Coastal. Then you line up "rivals" like this - VT/UVA, Miami/FSU, GT/Clemson, UNC/NCSU, Duke/Wake, Pitt/Cuse, BC/Md (the only one that really doesn't make sense).

Play your 6 divisional opponents every year, your one rival, and rotate the others.

Bottom line is this - 14 is too big. It basically is a situation of having two 7 school conferences, with a scheduling pact with the other conference, and a championship game.

North South
    BC Miami
    Syracuse Wake
    Pitt FSU
    UVA Ga Tech
    Maryland NC State
    UNC Duke
    Va Tech Clemson

While Duke may be UNC's rival on the hardboards, they aren't pretty much anywhere else. Can't imagine UNC not playing NC State every year. Moving us against Clemson drops what has been a good rivalry with Miami (who has played us tough even in their down years).

While I agree the ACC needs to get their few marquee teams to play each other more, this doesn't do that. Its going to get even worse now that we're expanding to 14 and keeping to 8 in conference games.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan86 View Post
    While Duke may be UNC's rival on the hardboards, they aren't pretty much anywhere else. Can't imagine UNC not playing NC State every year. Moving us against Clemson drops what has been a good rivalry with Miami (who has played us tough even in their down years).

While I agree the ACC needs to get their few marquee teams to play each other more, this doesn't do that. Its going to get even worse now that we're expanding to 14 and keeping to 8 in conference games.
    UNC has to play dook, NCSU and uva every year in football. that is not going to change. there are reasons beyond splitting FSU and Miami behind the coastal/atlantic split. when you look at ALL the rivalries in the league, and preserve all of them, the current split is the only way to really do it. rivalries (even if only important to the 2 schools involved) are FAR more important than geography IMO.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC