Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011
    Why should we?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMadness View Post
    Only team below us is BC. We finished higher last year. I thought I was finally over Weaver's shotgun blast to the basketball program's knees, but I'm not. I can't believe the mickey mouse antics that went on in his Athletic Department.

Quote Originally Posted by dghokie2 View Post
    I don't think so, especially if he was able to hold onto the bigtime recruit...
    I think Gator Hokie is probably right. Montrezl Harrell wasn't that highly-touted as a recruit and I doubt the media thinks he would make a big impact as a freshman. Doe-Doe was looking like a dud at the end of last season. The media would have picked us maybe ahead of Wake Forest or GT, but that's it.

Since joining the ACC, we usually finish higher than picked in the preseason. If we have another bad year, then we look foward to 2013-2014 with our nice recruiting class coming in. I don't really care what we the polls put us at, to be honest.

We have essentially deemphasized the sport.

I'm all for being financially responsible, but Weaver is doing to basketball what BC does to football.....spend nothing and wait for the equal revenue sharing check to arrive in the mail.

The only other thing to do would be to cut scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMadness View Post
    Only team below us is BC. We finished higher last year. I thought I was finally over Weaver's shotgun blast to the basketball program's knees, but I'm not. I can't believe the mickey mouse antics that went on in his Athletic Department.

disagree--Weaver stepped in and saved the program by getting rid of SG last year-If SG had returned there might not have been any of our starters returning this year Kudos to Weaver for saving the program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie '04 View Post
    I'm all for being financially responsible, but Weaver is doing to basketball what BC does to football.....spend nothing and wait for the equal revenue sharing check to arrive in the mail.

The only other thing to do would be to cut scholarships.

The issue is tv and the nation felt vt basketball was always irrelevant and leadership on Blacksburg thinks nation interested in the hokie pokie. That is not exciting Seth realized that and worked the media. Frm getting national games his opinions and controversy that makes a program different Than the rest. Simply there are hundreds of programs like vt that are trying to get national interest. I think our coach has lots of energy what we need but he's going to have to work the media ad nation to get some magic or we are just another of the boring unimaginative college teams yawn

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJay View Post
    Even if one agrees that SG "had to" be fired, it's still another thing altogether to hire a HC that has no HC experience. We are in the ACC for crying out loud. The only way to definitely compete is to bring in a top shelf college Head Coach with a proven record. He could have done that. Scares the heck out of me.
    I tend to agree with you. However, as I'm sure you've read many times on this board, the majority of posters and all of the "gurus", whom I respect, cite a boatload of reasons why that didn't happen and, in fact, couldn't happen. Their reasoning, briefly stated, are lack of money, lack of interest from the administration and Board of Visitors, and VT and Blacksburg are lousy places in the middle of nowhere. The rest of us need to send money, sit down, and shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator Hokie View Post
    We would have been this low with Seth as coach.

This topic is tired. I disagreed with the decision given the timing of it as it did not allow for a proper coaching search. But it's over, time to focus on JJ and this team.
    The timing was terrible, but it excused Weaver from even pretending to attempt a serious search. Don't get me wrong. I wanted Seth gone, but not at that time. Also, I like many things that I know about JJ and fervently hope that he can get some good things done over the next 4 or 5 years; however, I'm not very optimistic about his chances. His situation reminds me of a baby dolphin swimming alone in a school of hammerhead sharks.