Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    It would require the AD to make it a priority and seek corporate advertising. Given our popularity in national TV games, I find it hard to believe we could not find a sponsor who would be willing to put up the funds for a 10 year contract to have their name shown, but it would take effort on the AD department.
    It is an embarrassment...at yesterday's game the sound was awful with constant feedback, etc...
    I agree with this. If the sound system and jumbotron cost $7 million, then surely we could find a corporate sponsor at $600,000 per year for 10 years. Six home games plus constant viewing throughout the year ("Home of the Hokies" would probably be gone or the corporate ad would be there as well).

I laugh at the people saying we don't have the money for it. We HAVE the money for it, it just hasn't been prioritized. Have people missed the news that we're one of the few athletic departments turning a profit?

However, we're pouring that money back into debt. Whether that's a good idea or bad is beyond me -- I get the impression it's extra payment on top of what was budgeted, but I don't know for sure. But if the athletic department wanted to put out money for a new video board, the money IS there to be had and be done.

More than that, though, we WOULD make money on a video board with advertising. That said, I agree with the comment that it'd be more work for the athletic department and perhaps they don't want to take that one. But if we had an AD who wanted a video board ... we'd have one. WITHOUT causing any financial problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 05hokie05 View Post
    This topic has probably already been beat to death but man that thing is dated. I go to a lot of Wake Forest games and I get very jealous when i see how nice theirs is. Is there plans to expand the north endzone? Is that a factor in the reasons to wait on a new scoreboard/jumbotron?
    New jumbotron? Why I remember the days of the gobbling turkey with a scoreboard that barely was legitable( I walked uphill in the snow to and from class as well). Sure it would be nice but it would be low on my priority list as well. The sound system is another matter. It is pathetic.

If the former Head Baseball Coach can pay for the lights at English field, the least the AD could do is start a fund, say contribute a 100 large from his 1/2 mil a year salary for it. And just think, everyone could look up at the scoreboard and say thanks Jim your awesome.

Damn right poor it into the DEBT, the more liquid we become, the more they can do, IMO.

IMG would be the key if i'm not mistaken. i believe the current video board was paid for by ISP and that they contractually manage/sell the advertising for it as well as part of their media rights deal with Tech. If IMG thought it would be a lucrative endeavor to replace the current board with a new one, it would be on them to tell JW that's what they want to do, and they would fund it. again, i'm not 100% sure that's how it works, but that is how it was explained to me previously.

I'm petty sure that as part of the $4-5M/year IMG pays Tech, they get to keep 100% of the advertising revenue from Lane Stadium on gameday since they are responsible for selling it. can anyone verify/discredit this?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by 05hokie05 View Post
    This topic has probably already been beat to death but man that thing is dated. I go to a lot of Wake Forest games and I get very jealous when i see how nice theirs is. Is there plans to expand the north endzone? Is that a factor in the reasons to wait on a new scoreboard/jumbotron?
    Is the display fixed yet? There was a missing block of pixels on the right side for the GT game. I'm hoping that if they don't intend to fix it, then maybe they want to replace it.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful Hokie View Post
    I agree with this. If the sound system and jumbotron cost $7 million, then surely we could find a corporate sponsor at $600,000 per year for 10 years. Six home games plus constant viewing throughout the year ("Home of the Hokies" would probably be gone or the corporate ad would be there as well).
    The "Bud Lite" scoreboard!
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

-Albert Einstein

I believe IMG paid for the video board and keeps the Ad revenue. I may be wrong, but think that is the case. Don't know the length of the contract.

Glen Allen, VA (far western Henrico County)
    Pffftt! I remember when they used to chisel the score into rock tablets and hoist them up poles with wooly mammoths to the tune of "Enter Caveman".

Quote Originally Posted by TOUGH TURKEY View Post
    New jumbotron? Why I remember the days of the gobbling turkey with a scoreboard that barely was legitable( I walked uphill in the snow to and from class as well). Sure it would be nice but it would be low on my priority list as well. The sound system is another matter. It is pathetic.